Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Why do you garden?

On 3/4/04 7:16 PM, in article , "David Hill"
wrote:

As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying what was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self why do
I garden?

Because if I don't, I will go insane. It provides a balance to the day to
day nuttiness of bills, children and housework.

Cheryl

Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 AM
B & J

"David Hill" wrote in message
As I plod through the mud yet again to get to various parts of my garden,
some torn up by the Foxes looking for the moles that are destroying what

was
once quite a good lawn, tripping over brambles that put out shoots of

around
20 ft last year (My arthritis meant that some got away) I ask my self why

do
I garden?

snip
David Hill

I garden because it adds so much to life in the form of new growth, color,
and enjoyment. I enjoy starting, and planting new annuals, perennials, and
shrubs, and it's a challenge to root and grow a cutting from shrubs, or
perennials obtained from a friend. Yes, I often grouse and grumble when the
old bones creak and groan after a day in the yard pruning, composting,
mulching, weeding, and planting, but the exercise does keep the oil in the
old bones greased. Gardening gets me outside because pride will not allow me
to let my yard turn into a jungle except in selected areas where jungle
provides nurture for birds, bees, butterflies, and encouraged wildlife (deer
not included ).

I love sharing produce from my vegetable garden with friends and neighbors,
and it's a real ego booster when strangers stop, ring my doorbell and ask
if they may tour my yard, and real estate salespeople use my home as an area
showplace.

John

Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 PM
J Kolenovsky

It is the Lord's gift to me.
-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
J Kolenovsky

It is the Lord's gift to me.
-- =

Old 05-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Zemedelec

Why did Hilary climb Everest? No, seriously, I bought a house with a very
neglected garden and quite a lot of bare space, and I enjoy plants
tremendously. Unlike kids they don't turn on you when they're two, and at 13
they're mostly dead, whileas the problems of a human's parents are just
starting.
zemedelec
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Cereus-validus

That so-called gift isn't free, babe!

Does the lord pay for all your supplies and seeds too?

If you live in Hawaii, would that be Jack Lord of which you speak?

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
It is the Lord's gift to me.
--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business

Old 05-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Beecrofter

Like the frog who are a wonderful bird and ain't got no tail hardly I
garden becuase I ain't got no sense hardly.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:34 PM
tmtresh

It's so exciting to see plants emerge from tiny seeds. I love seeing the
bulb flowers come up in the spring. The crocuses have been up for a couple
weeks now, but have yet to open. Tulips and hyacinths are begining to show
themselves. The pea seeds are swelling, but haven't broken open yet. I've
even spent a few afternoons digging weeds from the lawn. I have rhubarb,
bleeding heart, strawberries, and black raspberries on order. I can't wait
for early summer when I can plant my vegetable garden, and take cuttings
from my dad's gooseberry and the neighbors currents. Ah, the joys of
gardening.

When I was a little girl, we had a big vegetable garden. Every other year my
dad would get a truckload of manure and spread on it, which made the weeds
grow (and probably brought some seeds, too). On weekdays, we couldn't do
anything until we weeded a row of the garden, but somehow the weeds always
got away from us. (We probably weren't as persistant as we could have been)
What a challenge it was to find a vegetable plant in the weeds! It's funny
that although the weeds often took over, we had a bountiful harvest every
year.

My dad is also very proud of the berries and other things in his yard. When
the grandkids came along, he took special joy in taking them to the backyard
for some "candy". It was as often rhubarb and gooseberries as it was
raspberries or grapes, and they always loved it.

So, I guess, from my dad, the joy of gardening has rubbed off on me. It
drove me absolutely insane when I had to live in apartments for a few years.
I wanted to get my hands dirty! (and working on cars didn't count). College
and newlywed phase passed slowly in the summer. We finally bought a house,
and now I'm in heaven (well, the satisfaction of gardening is back, anyway).
I only have one problem, things don't grow as well here as they did at my
parents'. Oh, and I have to use city water to garden rather than irrigation
water. (My main problem with this, I think, is that I tend to want to
conserve city water more, and the plants don't seem to get enough).

Well, there you go. You've recieved a short story on gardening. I hope I
didn't bore anybody ;-)