Old 07-03-2004, 01:32 PM
LFR

Default Rose

As I was reading through some of the posts, I was reminded of a problem I
have with a rose bush. It was here when I bought the house. It is planted
near my front "porch" (read: concrete slab entry way). It currently has a
"ton" of buds and they are beautiful when they open but they drop soon
after. That part of the yard gets no sun (facing north). Should I move the
plant to a sunnier area? It is my intention to move it but I thought I
would pose the question to those of you who are more knowledgable. Any

BTW, I'm in Virginia, zone 8 I think.

TIA.

Lynn

Old 07-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Sunflower

"LFR" wrote in message
As I was reading through some of the posts, I was reminded of a problem I
have with a rose bush. It was here when I bought the house. It is

planted
near my front "porch" (read: concrete slab entry way). It currently has a
"ton" of buds and they are beautiful when they open but they drop soon
after. That part of the yard gets no sun (facing north). Should I move

the
plant to a sunnier area? It is my intention to move it but I thought I
would pose the question to those of you who are more knowledgable. Any

BTW, I'm in Virginia, zone 8 I think.

TIA.

Lynn

Roses don't do well in shade. Yours must be getting some sunlight later in
the season to be doing as well as it is. Leave it where it is this season
since it's already set bud, but look closely at how much sun it does get
through the summer, and if it gets less than 6 hours, it'll be happier
somewhere else. If it's a once bloomer, the best time to move it and still
be able to get blooms for next year is immediately after it's bloom. Cut it
back, dig a big receiving hole, and get as much rootball as you can. Keep
it well watered in it's new spot and provide a bit of temporary shade. If
it's a repeat bloomer, then the best time to move it is when it's dormant,
like late winter. Cut it back and get as much rootball as you can and
because it's dormant, it will barely even notice the move at all.

BTW, if it's a once bloomer with deep red semi-double blooms with prominent
golden stamens and no scent and a good propensity towards black spot later
in the season, then it has a very good chance of being Dr. Huey, the
rootstock that is most commonly used to graft more desirable roses onto.
It's very common across the country. In cold areas, usually the gardener
didn't provide adequate winter protection to the more tender grafted rose
and it died, and in warm humid areas the gardener most likely didn't spray
to control the black spot and this kept the rose so defoliated and weakened
that even our "winter" killed it. Dr. Huey is not a terribly desirable rose
to grow unless you have a back forty to transplant it to for a visual bang
from the distance and to be able to ignore it's leafless ugly sticks for the
rest of the year.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Mike Gilmore

If I were you, I would do some digging at the side of your rose, they are
notoriously hungry plants, and it may be that it is now in need of renewed
nourishment.
--
Regards
Mike Gilmore

Old 07-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:28:30 -0500, "LFR" wrote:

As I was reading through some of the posts, I was reminded of a problem I
have with a rose bush. It was here when I bought the house. It is planted
near my front "porch" (read: concrete slab entry way). It currently has a
"ton" of buds and they are beautiful when they open but they drop soon
after. That part of the yard gets no sun (facing north). Should I move the
plant to a sunnier area? It is my intention to move it but I thought I
would pose the question to those of you who are more knowledgable. Any

BTW, I'm in Virginia, zone 8 I think.

TIA.

Lynn

If the plant blooms and appears healthy, why move it? Most roses
prefer full sun, but there are part-shade varieties. Can you identify
the rose? Most roses have a deep root system but can be most
successfully moved in early spring. Prepare the hole with compost,
leaf mold, and a small amount of cow manure. Be careful to keep the
crown at the same soil level. Prune it back at least one-half. Water
immediately, then water well again the following day.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:08 PM
LFR

In answer to some of the questions....practically no sun in the spot where
it's currently planted...also, it's a once bloomer.

I will feed it and leave it for the time being. The spot where it's planted
seems more appropriate for impatiens, hosta and most plants that don't need
much sun exposure.

I will try to get a photo or two of it when it's in bloom. I suppose I
could just consult a local nursery.

Thank you so much for your replies. :-)

Lynn