Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Heidi

Default dormant or dying?

I have a silly question, one which I guess will be hard to answer with
out seeing my plants, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway....

Is there a way to tell if your plants are sick, or if they are just
going dormant for the winter? I have a few plants I am concerned about.

One is a Fragrant Osmanthus whose leaves have some brown spotting to
them and are turning yellow to light green.
Second my Loropetalum whose leaves are browning--the browning is not
occurring uniformly, but seems to be contained to one branch.
Third is a Gulf Stream Nandina whose stems and leaves dropped off the
top of the plant, however the lower stems and leaves are still in tact
and look healthy.

And now a question from the "I know this is dying, but is there any hope
left department......"
I have a Coastal Leucothoe which has lost all of it's leaves and
branches. The remaining stem seems to have some green to it, however I
can't tell if the green is just a fungus on the stem or signs of life.
If I cut the stem, I do not see any green in the center. Bad sign? The
root system still seems strong. Is there any change this little one
will come back to life? Or should I shovel prune it into my compost pile?

Should I just wait these out, or should I take action if there is a
disease going on?

Thanks for any advice!
Heidi
Raleigh, NC

Old 07-03-2004, 09:51 PM
David Hill

Scratch through the bark with your finger nail , if there is green under it
then the stem is still alive.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM
KCnRichmond

Looks like you garden shop at Home Depot or Lowes from your selections.....
Gulf Stream is hard to kill...I've seen this before and the vile weed
recovered. It's in the bamboo family and you just can't hardly kill it.
Fragrant Osmanthus is barely in your zone, but should recover. Pull out
faded, spotted leaves and rake out under the shrub and dispose of the leaves
but NOT in a compost area...Get a lot of snow this year? Is most of the
discoloration on the south west side?
Leucothoe, Coastal, is evergreen.....Sounds like yours ain't...........I'd
chuck it...Soil needs to be acidic and deeply loose, drained soil...No clay.
When these were planted, did you dig 2-3 times wider than the pot it came
in? Amend something in the hole like clean compost or that good $1.09 bag of
composted manure at the garden center you shop....Also I might get
Miracle-gro Quick Start to help in the transition...Good stuff.

"Heidi" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Dormant Spray/Oil? was Maryland roses R & L Porter Roses 3 01-02-2005 06:39 PM
How to wake up a dormant two dormant spike! Claude Orchids 0 23-01-2004 04:06 PM
Dormant spray R & L Porter Roses 6 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 2 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
How, when and why to apply dormant spray. Allegra Roses 0 03-02-2003 07:57 PM