Old 10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Ray Jenkins

Default Euonymous care? ? ?

I have a row of fully mature euonymous bushes, and this year they were
almost uprooted under the weight of a heavy snow.

They seem to be quite alive and can be uprighted, but I think I need to trim
back severely.

What is the best height for an entirely new start? Three feet from the root?

Any advice welcome.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Betsy

This isn't quite the same, but I transplanted a huge overgrown E. bush 3
years ago and it is still in recovery. Of course this meant cutting the
taproot, so I'm sure this is the main issue, but I also had to cut it back
severely.

Perhaps right them, stake them, and then prune *a bit* and see how they do.
Of course prune out dead wood and crossing branches, etc., but I'd give it
more of a *wait & see* approach at first.

news

Old 10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Mike Gilmore

Ray,
Very unusual to hear of mature euonymous with your problem. Before cutting
back branches and once snow has cleared, try 'rocking' the shrub while
simultaneously watching the trunk base, you may need a strong friend to do
this. Look out for signs that roots are loose as a result of growing in
circles. If so, and I hope you don't find this problem, you will need to do
more than prune the branches.
--
Regards
Mike Gilmore