Old 13-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Update: landscape fabric and onion chives

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...8dgNa.23010%24
JY1.1813%40nwrddc01.gnilink.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dchives%2Bsalty%
2Bthumb%2Blandscape%2Bfabric%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26i e%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D8dgN
a.23010%2524JY1.1813%2540nwrddc01.gnilink.net%26rn um%3D1

I don't know what mine were. I think they smelled like onions or
chives,
don't really remember. Foliage consisted of single stalk, definitely
similar to wild onions I have seen, but thin, guessing 1-2 millimeters
in thickness even at the base. After they got about 6" tall, I
snipped them low and probably pulled the landscape fabric back over
them ( so they would have to grow narrow tips to pierce the fabric
again). Could be cold weather plants like Alex said, today going be in
the 90s here! Never saw the flowers. Maybe they are still there or
the slugs got them for all I know.

Thanks to Alex for the heads-up, I'll keep a look out
for them after it gets cooler. Everybody have a nice holiday.

After a winter of neglect, Alex's concern has been justified, I took a
look at two beds that I installed with landscape fabric. The one that
had 'onion chives' or whatever they are, has about 20 shoots pushed
through the fabric and a thin layer of pine bark nuggets. The other bed
is still free. No weeds, either. (well none that weren't easily picked
off while you weren't looking).

I can live with the onion thingies, so I still stand by my recommendation.
People who can garden their way out of bank vault probably won't want to
use landscape fabric, but if you're an average lazy guy, it's good stuff.