Old 18-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Building a bank? Landscape fabric?

I have a bank that slopes gentle, then the slopt increases. Total rise
height is about 6 feet above about 9 feet.

I want to create a 45degree slope, covered in grass, wild flowers etc and at
the same time increase the width of the plateau at the top of the slope.

So, can I import lots of topsoil, sow seeds and cover with landscape fabric
or similar? Or how exactly would I do this? I want to stabilise the slope
whist nature is getting going as I imagine it will just "wash away" if I
don't.

Thanks for suggestions, tip, references.

Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 18-11-2004, 02:40 PM
David

Paul

The landscape fabric (mypex) I've experience of tends to be pretty slippery
and I don't think would be good on a steep slope. Galvanised or plastic
covered wire netting would give the stability you are looking for but still
allow nature to takes it's course. Judging by the amount used on motorway
embankments suppliers must be plentiful!

regards,

David

et...

Old 18-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Helen Hartley

Try netlon http://www.netlon.net/

Old 18-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Mike Lyle

Helen Hartley wrote:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
I have a bank that slopes gentle, then the slopt increases.

Total
rise height is about 6 feet above about 9 feet.

I want to create a 45degree slope, covered in grass, wild flowers
etc and at the same time increase the width of the plateau at the
top of the slope.

So, can I import lots of topsoil, sow seeds and cover with
landscape fabric or similar? Or how exactly would I do this? I
want to stabilise the slope whist nature is getting going as I
imagine it will just "wash away" if I don't.

Try netlon http://www.netlon.net/

I particularly like the Buck House helicopter pad:

http://www.netlon.co.uk/_turfsystems...y_AdvTurf3.pdf

Mike.

Old 19-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Paul D.Smith

"Helen Hartley" wrote in message

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
I have a bank that slopes gentle, then the slopt increases. Total rise
height is about 6 feet above about 9 feet.

I want to create a 45degree slope, covered in grass, wild flowers etc

and
at
the same time increase the width of the plateau at the top of the

slope.

So, can I import lots of topsoil, sow seeds and cover with landscape

fabric
or similar? Or how exactly would I do this? I want to stabilise the

slope
whist nature is getting going as I imagine it will just "wash away" if

don't.

Try netlon http://www.netlon.net/

Thanks for the tip. It does look like overkill. I don't even intend
walking up this bank, let alone landing helicopters on it ;-). I just want
some stability until nature lends a hand. Looks good for a possible path
though, which is another product for the future!

Paul DS.