Old 15-03-2004, 07:12 AM
junkyardcat

Default Oriental Poppies

I bought some Oriental Poppy plants from a local nursery last week. Right
now there is just foliage on them and I'm curious about how long it will
take them to flower. Are they perennial, annual, or bi-ennial? I hope that
they will flower this Spring or Summer..I'm anxious to see what they look
like

Thanks for your help
Angie

Old 15-03-2004, 08:12 AM
gregpresley

Normally they flower in late May in the majority of the cooler parts of the
country where they grow the best. However, you are unlikely to get flowers
from them the first year that you plant them. They are very sensitive to
root disturbance, so plant them very carefully. (Don't pull apart the soil
from their roots).

Old 15-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Janice

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:43:58 -0600, "junkyardcat"
wrote:

I bought some Oriental Poppy plants from a local nursery last week. Right
now there is just foliage on them and I'm curious about how long it will
take them to flower. Are they perennial, annual, or bi-ennial? I hope that
they will flower this Spring or Summer..I'm anxious to see what they look
like

Thanks for your help
Angie

They are perennial. Whether they bloom this year or not depends on
how big the plant is. How big of a pot were they in when you bought
them? 4" pot, next year on the blooming. Were they named varieties?
or "mixed" oriental poppies.

If mixed.. my luck was that every one of them was orange. Friend
bought the same "mixed" poppies and she got some watermelon and
orange.

I was in search of white oriental poppies. Perry's White finally
became available to me locally last year, and the royal wedding
poppies that became so popular last year is pretty much white.

I have a beauty of livermore (not positive on the spelling) which
grows to around 4 to 4.5 feet tall some years and BLOOD RED crinkled
flowers, striking. One catalog said they were good "to frighten the
neighbors with" .. that made me laugh loudly and long!

I love them, just wish they lasted longer.

Janice