Old 17-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Peter Jason

Default Should I grow clover with potted plants?

I hear that clover replenishes the soil with nitrogen, and so perhaps if I
use it as a "living mulch" in my potplants it will enhance the growth of the
other plant.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

Old 17-03-2004, 01:58 PM
J. Del Col

"Peter Jason" wrote in message ...
I hear that clover replenishes the soil with nitrogen, and so perhaps if I
use it as a "living mulch" in my potplants it will enhance the growth of the
other plant.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

Bad idea. The clover will compete with the other plant for the
nutrients in the pot; it will, in effect, be a weed. Any nitrogen
fixation will be negated by the clover's use of other nutrients.

IIRC, where clover is used to improve soil it is grown in rotation
with other crops, not along with them.

J. Del Col
Old 17-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"Peter Jason" wrote in message ...
I hear that clover replenishes the soil with nitrogen, and so perhaps if I
use it as a "living mulch" in my potplants it will enhance the growth of the
other plant.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

The problem with clover and other cover crops in containers is
providing a hiding place and alternate food supply for insect pests.
Outdoors in the ground I would not be without it as it's benefits far
outweigh any problems.