Old 19-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Frank

Default what fruit trees to plant in the container

Hello,

I just bought a condo and I only have a balcony. That means I can only
work on container gardening. The fruit trees in HD and costco are very
attractive. I'd love to grow some fruit and enjoy the reward. I have
planted the tomato and strawberry in pots.

Could you please recommend any fruit trees that I can plant in
containers? The navel orange and dwarf cuits trees look and smell
nice. Can I grow them in containers?

I'm in SF bay area.

Thanks a lot!!!

Tiff
Old 19-03-2004, 06:07 PM
bob_L

The citrus should do well in pots. I've kept a number of citrus trees
in pots for over 20 years. You will probably have to repot into
larger pots every year or two until you get to a 10 or 15 gallon size.
Just take them inside if there is a possibility of a hard freeze.

There are a number of genetic dwarf fruit tree varieties, particulary
genetic dwarf peaches, that should do well in pots also.

Old 19-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Julie

Frank wrote:

Hello,

I just bought a condo and I only have a balcony. That means I can only
work on container gardening. The fruit trees in HD and costco are very
attractive. I'd love to grow some fruit and enjoy the reward. I have
planted the tomato and strawberry in pots.

Could you please recommend any fruit trees that I can plant in
containers? The navel orange and dwarf cuits trees look and smell
nice. Can I grow them in containers?

I have a couple of these:
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catal...les%2DColumnar
or http://tinyurl.com/358uw

growing in pots on my patio. I also have a peach/nectarine combo and two orange
trees in pots. All were purchased from Raintree several years ago, and are doing
great. I'm in Seattle.

--

Julie
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3008861
Old 20-03-2004, 05:32 AM
David Ross

Frank wrote:

Hello,

I just bought a condo and I only have a balcony. That means I can only
work on container gardening. The fruit trees in HD and costco are very
attractive. I'd love to grow some fruit and enjoy the reward. I have
planted the tomato and strawberry in pots.

Could you please recommend any fruit trees that I can plant in
containers? The navel orange and dwarf cuits trees look and smell
nice. Can I grow them in containers?

I'm in SF bay area.

Thanks a lot!!!

I have three dwarf citrus in 18" cylindrical (not tapered) redwood
tubs.

I have had my Eureka lemon for about 35 years. Twice I thought it
died -- once because I burned the roots by feeding when the soil
was dry and once from a severe frost. About three years after the
second near-death experience, it produced about 60 full-size
lemons in a single year! It's getting ready for a rush of
blooming right now. The current tub is the third container for
this particular tree; the first container was the large pot that I
then used for my kumquat.

My kumquat is just a few years younger than the lemon. Last
summer, while my wife and I were traveling for almost four weeks,
we had a hot spell. The automatic lawn sprinklers failed because
Edison had another of its outages. When I got home, the kumquat
and several plants in the ground all looked dead. They are now
revived, but I got no fruit from the kumquat last year. Most
years, it's covered with more fruit than we can eat. The kumquat
was originally in a very large, concrete flower pot that had a
crack in it (the pot in which I originally planted my lemon).
Eventually, the pot fell apart along the crack.

My Robertson navel orange is about 12 years old. Some years I
get, 2-3 oranges. Some years, I get 20. The orange is still in
its original tub.

The trees were each bought in 1 gallon cans. Each tub required
about 2.5 cubic feet of potting mix. All three tubs rest on 20"
concrete rounds on my back lawn. Each tub actually rests on a
square of bricks set on top of the rounds. This means no weight
rests on the bottom rims of the tubs; all the weight is on the
recessed bottom planks. It also means that air circulates under
the tubs, preventing the wood from rotting. The tubs seem to last
about 25-30 years.

On a balcony, you don't need the concrete rounds; however, if you
use tubs, you should put something underneath so they don't rest
on their rims. If you use large pots, you might want to put
glazed saucers under them so that the deck of the balcony is not
damaged by constant moisture. Be careful about putting too many
trees on your balcony. Just one 18" tub is quite heavy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 21-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Nicole H

You can grow all those dwarf citrus trees in containers. You can make them
bushes, trees or espalier them.
Enjoy
Nicole

--
3 of every 10 Americans Know Someone With Lupus
Help find the cure. www.lupus.org
om...

Old 27-03-2004, 07:55 PM
zxcvbob

wrote:

(Frank) in news:620b1276.0403181931.602f3f79
@posting.google.com:

Hello,

I just bought a condo and I only have a balcony. That means I can only
work on container gardening. The fruit trees in HD and costco are very
attractive. I'd love to grow some fruit and enjoy the reward. I have
planted the tomato and strawberry in pots.

don't forget to visit a "real" nursery

Could you please recommend any fruit trees that I can plant in
containers? The navel orange and dwarf cuits trees look and smell
nice. Can I grow them in containers?

SF is way too cool to sweeten any of the sweet citrus fruits.

if you are below another balcony, you are not getting full sun.

check fruit gardening books at the library. Also sunset western gardening
book for all around gardening, with climate-specific info for many
plants.

For semi sunny cool location, Psidium (strawberry guava or lemon guava)
come to mind.

You might want to check out a meeting of CRFG Golden Gate chapter
http://www.crfg.org/chapters/golden_gate/

a decent number of members live on the peninsula or Berkeley/Richmond
(fog smacked)

this is the kind of interests members have
http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/15759.html

I wonder if blueberries would do OK in big pots? But they are not all that
pretty. I think I'd try kumquats or satsumas or ponderosa lemons.

-bob

Old 28-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

zxcvbob in
:

I wonder if blueberries would do OK in big pots? But they are not all
that pretty. I think I'd try kumquats or satsumas or ponderosa
lemons.

i don't know if the winter is cold enough for blueberries...
natice huckleberries (they and blueberries are vaccinium) grow in shade,
btu i've been told they fruit only when they get some sun.

SF water should be good for them (low salts)

i think i've read that some gain a reddish coloration in winter.