Old 21-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Kevin C

Default St. Augustine fertilizer on Bermuda grass

I have accidently applied St. Augustine Weed and Feed fertilizer to
1/2 of my bermuda lawn. I have decided not to water it hoping some of
the fertilizer will blow away. Is this going to ruin my lawn?
Old 21-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Babberney

On 20 Mar 2004 16:16:42 -0800, (Kevin C)
wrote:

I have accidently applied St. Augustine Weed and Feed fertilizer to
1/2 of my bermuda lawn. I have decided not to water it hoping some of
the fertilizer will blow away. Is this going to ruin my lawn?

The difference between this fertilizer and one for St. Aug are quite
minor, I'm sure. Fertilizer is simply minerals, mostly nitrogen,
phosphorus and potassium. In too-high quantities, any fertilizer can
damage any plant, but if you applied the stuff correctly there will
likely not be much negative fallout.

Not so true the "blowing away" or the weed-n-feed. First, you should
water in any fertilizer after applying because if it sits on the grass
the plant will be burned.

Second, you should use only as much as you need and try to avoid
overspray and runoff. Suburban lawns and the corrollary fertilizer
are a problem in many watersheds, because homeowner apply too much,
too often, and it washes out of their lawn and into the storm sewers
(or into creeks in some cases). Apply half as much, half as often as
the label recommends.

Third, the herbicide in weed-n-feed can affect more than just
dandelions and oxalis. I've seen trees that were effectively killed
by this type of product (though this is not likely if you apply in the
proper amounts). Better to use manure compost as fertilizer and get
off all chemicals--a healthy lawn means healthy soil, and bags of urea
just don't provide the boost to microflora and fauna in the soil that
compost can. Once the soil and grass are healthy, the weeds will be
choked out and a little spot checking now and then will keep things
under control.

good luck,
keith

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/