Old 19-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Pookee

Default Bermuda irradiation before St. Augustine sod

I have read MANY posts about the life-long battle between man and
Bermuda and learned much but I have a more specific question. I just
moved into a new house in Houston, TX (zone 9) that did not have sod
in the back. In the meantime Bermuda grass has moved in and set up
shop. In preparation for my St. Augustine sod I pulled all of the
weeds and went to work on the Bermuda with a hoe and an attitude. I
have basically turned over all of the soil that has been infected by
this devil grass, pulled out all of the roots and stems that I could
find, and have started laying the St. Augustine down on the remains.
After reading posts here I now see that I may have only made matters
worse by digging and that the Bermuda will likely shrug at my attack
and grow up through the St. Augustine. At my stage of the game is
there anything I can do to preempt the Bermuda from growing in my St.
Augustine?