Old 21-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Felix Karpfen

Default Buffalo Grass lawns - was: Establishing/nurturing a lawn of St Augustine grass

* "Quantum Foam Guy"

"Felix Karpfen" wrote in message

Given that the combination of drought and watering restrictions have
wiped out the part of my garden that pretended to be a lawn, I am
starting from scratch and will shortly have a lawn of St Augustine grass
installed (as turf).

St. Augustine needs a lot of water. It likes lots of sun, lots of water, and
warm humid temperatures. Since you are in an area with little summer rain,
you should probably reconsider your decision.

Thank you.

Looks to me as though I asked advice about the wrong plant.

My very out-of-date US book on lawns did not mention my selected
variety, but its description of the features of St Augustine grass was
close. The watering needs (not mentioned in the description) appear to
be very different.

So, try again.

Delete "St Augustine"; replace by "Buffalo".

Additional advice will still be welcome. A relevant extract of what
I have collected to date reads:

Caring for an Established Buffalo Grass Lawn

1. Watering: Once established, these grasses are very drought tolerant,
but they may need extra water during the hottest part of the summer
to keep them green and actively growing. When depending on natural
rainfall, buffalo and blue grama grass may brown out in hot, dry
weather but will green-up quickly after a few good rains. If your
area receives less than 8" of precipitation annually, you may need to
water every 2-3 weeks during extended hot, dry periods.

2. Fertilizing: Legacy® Buffalo grass needs for fertilized annually...

Felix Karpfen
--

Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)