Old 22-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Jim Schott

Default Chipmonks - How To Rid Them

We enjoy feeding the birds, the squirrels (we have fox squirrels, red
squirrels, and pitch black ones).
We put feeders around our deck and it's a delight for us to watch them all.
There's a problem though with chipmunks. They like to eat the food too.
That's ok, but the problem they cause is digging tunnels all over my wife's
flower garden.

Does anyone know about any substance I could put in the chipmunk holes that
would encourage them to go somewhere else.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Cereus-validus

You silly goose.

You led us to believe that you were having a problem with Franciscan monks
coming to your door selling potato chips.

Shame on you for complaining about those cute little rodents (chipmunks),
Chip and Dale. Them boys gots to eat too. So, why not put a portion of food
out just for them so that they won't need to go out of their way and get
into mischief?

Old 22-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Skyhooks

Jim Schott wrote:

Does anyone know about any substance I could put in the chipmunk holes that
would encourage them to go somewhere else.

Try using generous portions of cayenne pepper The hotter the
better! I don't know if that would definitely work, but it's something
I'd try.

Sky
hmardis "aught" uiuc "daught" edu
Old 22-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Cereus-validus

Spreading around a little cayenne hot pepper might dissuade chipmunks but
would create bigger problems by attracting Speedy Gonzales, Mexican mice and
jumping jerboas!!!

Old 22-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Michelle

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:34:09 -0500, "Jim Schott"
wrote:

We enjoy feeding the birds, the squirrels (we have fox squirrels, red
squirrels, and pitch black ones).
We put feeders around our deck and it's a delight for us to watch them all.
There's a problem though with chipmunks. They like to eat the food too.
That's ok, but the problem they cause is digging tunnels all over my wife's
flower garden.

Does anyone know about any substance I could put in the chipmunk holes that
would encourage them to go somewhere else.

buy blood meal for some reason rodents don't like the smell you
just follow the instructions on the package which is pritty muche
jusst to make a little barrior around the flower bed and somthing
about the smell drives them off it is a good organic fertilizer as
well
well good luck with the little buggers
michelle

Old 23-03-2004, 12:02 AM
John Bachman

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:19:03 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

You silly goose.

You led us to believe that you were having a problem with Franciscan monks
coming to your door selling potato chips.

Shame on you for complaining about those cute little rodents (chipmunks),
Chip and Dale. Them boys gots to eat too. So, why not put a portion of food
out just for them so that they won't need to go out of their way and get
into mischief?

I used to live trap and relocate Chip, Dale and all his pesty cousins.
Then, last year a pair of redtail hawks took up residence in my back
yard. What fun!

Now when I spent the winter tossing bread crumbs to the little
critters and the wife asks what I am doing I answer, "Fattening the
hawk food."

So, get some hawks.

John

Old 23-03-2004, 03:42 AM
B & J

"John Bachman" wrote in message

I used to live trap and relocate Chip, Dale and all his pesty cousins.
Then, last year a pair of redtail hawks took up residence in my back
yard. What fun!

Now when I spent the winter tossing bread crumbs to the little
critters and the wife asks what I am doing I answer, "Fattening the
hawk food."

So, get some hawks.

John

Hawks do a good job of keeping the squirrel population down. A pair of red
tails nested in an oak in our neighbors yard two summers ago and kept the
whole squirrel tribe away as long as they were there. I occasionally picked
up road kill squirrels and put them on a stump. It seldom took more than an
hour for them to find my offerings. Unfortunately they didn't return the
following year, nor have I seen them around this year.

I seldom see a chipmunk or mouse since neighbors who formerly resided in
Saudi Arabia brought back a small, silver gray tabby cat from there with
them when they moved into a house across the road. I wish that small
predators was big enough to tackle squirrels, but the grays are almost as
large as she. Yes, she occasionally uses a pile of sand I have for a
bathroom, but she does a great job and earn her bathroom privileges.

John

[IMG] code is On

Chipmonks Stubby[_3_] Lawns 0 02-06-2010 01:53 PM
Chipmonks - How to get rid of them? Jim Schott Gardening 14 05-06-2004 02:02 PM
Help ID vine/getting rid of them meya5867 Gardening 4 28-03-2004 08:33 AM
acorns, acorns, acorns.. how to pickup/get rid of them Sundar Narasimhan Gardening 10 18-11-2003 09:02 PM
Foxtails: How do I rid myself of them? GamePlayer No. 1058 Lawns 1 30-05-2003 05:44 PM