Old 24-03-2004, 03:42 AM
George

Default Sick Ash tree

I have a fully grown, 25 year old ash tree. A few years ago some crunchy,
crab-apple type growths appeared on some of the branches. I must say I
didn't pay much attention, but last year a significant amount of the tree
was covered.

When removed, these growths crumble into small pieces. They are dark brown
in colour. The tree seems healthy otherwise.

I'm in Canada, Southern Ontario. I'd appreciate some advice on what is
happening., and what I can do about it.

Thanks,

George

Old 24-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Sed5555

I have a fully grown, 25 year old ash tree. A few years ago some crunchy,
crab-apple type growths appeared on some of the branches.

Sounds like dried eriophyid mite galls. These microscopic mites commonly cause
deformed galls on ash trees that are originally green but dry to a crumbly dark
brown. Although unsightly, they rarely affect the health of the tree. For more
information see:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...sts/emite1.htm
and
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ests/galls.htm
sed5555
Old 24-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

George said:

I have a fully grown, 25 year old ash tree. A few years ago some crunchy,
crab-apple type growths appeared on some of the branches. I must say I
didn't pay much attention, but last year a significant amount of the tree
was covered.

When removed, these growths crumble into small pieces. They are dark brown
in colour. The tree seems healthy otherwise.

I'm in Canada, Southern Ontario. I'd appreciate some advice on what is
happening., and what I can do about it.

How far are you from the Emerald ash borer area (extreme SW Ont.
in Canada)?

If your tree is in or near the area of infestation it's likely doomed. Keep an
eye on it to check for the possibility that you have an outlier infestation even
if you aren't in the effected zone. (I noticed these growths on some ash trees in
our neighborhood before the borers did them; they might have been a sign
that the trees were weakening.)

Info and link to a map of affected area in Ontario he
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../agrplae.shtml

Michigan sites on EAB:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/reg_se/roberts/ash/
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7...298---,00.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 24-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Mike LaMana

It would unusual to see eriopyiid gall formation on branches - leaves and
petioles usually. If the original post is correct, my impression would be
more like cynipid gall wasps or and Agrobacterium-like infection in the
woody tissue.

I am admittedly weak on the local patho-flora and fauna of Canada however!

Mike
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC