Old 24-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default grafting white-ash onto green-ash

I do not know if anyone has tried this before and been successful. Next
year I am giving it a try because green-ash is abundant but white-ash is
rare here. I am going to try it on a white-ash cultivar of
autumn-purple.

I realize they are different species but as in the case of the animal
world or cross species hybrids. So I would think that the plant kingdom
would be more "plastic" as to cross speciation than the animal kingdom.
And since greenash and whiteash are so much alike, I would hazard to
guess that it is not a 100% failure to graft.

BTW, has anyone designed a honeylocust cultivar that is reddish leaves
in color? Instead of the Sunburst yellow leaves, I am looking for the
red leaves.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 25-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Christopher Green

[...]

Desirable White Ash (Fraxinus americana) varieties are often
propagated by budding on Green Ash (F. pennsylvanica) rootstock. See
an article on "chip budding", a useful technique for this form of
propagation in cold-winter Midwest locales, at
http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/horticulture/g1518.htm

There are some coppery honeylocust varieties, but no really red ones.
Bright red fall color comes from anthocyanin pigments, which
honeylocust doesn't produce (at least not in sufficient quantity to
make a show).

--
Chris Green
Old 25-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Christopher Green

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in message ...
[snip]
Perhaps rate of growth is want underlies the yellowish color of Sunburst cultivar. Maybe
Sunburst rate is slower than normal and as such yellow. So slow is yellow, and normal growth is
green and fast is red.

No such relation, red new growth is normally juvenile chlorophylls.
Red new growth does not translate to red fall color: they are
different pigments produced by different means altogether.

--
Chris Green
Old 28-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Christopher Green wrote:

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in message ...
[snip]
Perhaps rate of growth is want underlies the yellowish color of Sunburst cultivar. Maybe
Sunburst rate is slower than normal and as such yellow. So slow is yellow, and normal growth is
green and fast is red.

No such relation, red new growth is normally juvenile chlorophylls.
Red new growth does not translate to red fall color: they are
different pigments produced by different means altogether.

--
Chris Green

That is interesting and explains the reddish new leaves of apricot trees.