Old 31-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa
Default poppy seedlings

hi there,
i had a frog that had made its home on my screened in back porch for quite some time, and this morning i found him ontop of my poppy seedlings. they are still very small and so i moved him off to another spot. when i came home he was in the same spot dead. i know this is a bizzare question, but is it possible that the poppy chemicals that intoxicate humans could have killed the frog, and if so, are my cats at risk?
Old 31-03-2004, 07:32 AM
gregpresley

poppy seedlings are edible, and can be used as salad greens, so I doubt that
that was the cause of the frog's death. It is the sap in the pods of the
opium poppy which are used to "intoxicate" - and even there, the seeds of
the opium poppy are what we use in poppy seed cakes and bagels. etc
s.com...
--
agnatha3141

Old 31-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:25:00 GMT, agnatha3141
wrote:

i had a frog that had made its home on my screened in back porch for
quite some time, and this morning i found him ontop of my poppy
seedlings. they are still very small and so i moved him off to another
spot. when i came home he was in the same spot dead. i know this is a
bizzare question, but is it possible that the poppy chemicals that
intoxicate humans could have killed the frog, and if so, are my cats at
risk?

As another poster mentioned, the only chemically active parts of a
poppy are the seedpods of Papaver somniferum (breadseed poppy). I'm
sorry, but your frog just croaked. :-)

If your cats are fond of gnawing on assorted garden foliage, just
deadhead the poppies after the bloom has faded.

This site

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

lists plants supposedly poisonous to cats. If you believe this, you
can give up gardening right now.