Old 01-04-2004, 07:46 AM
MOM PEAGRAM

Default Mango seed

Any suggestions on growing one of these?

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/187.4/145

Old 01-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Kat

It all depends on where you are and how you want to grow the seed. Do you
want a houseplant? Or an outdoor tree? There are some great "growing from
seed" websites, also "Growing Fruit Crops in Containers". If you are
planning an indoor plant, realize that it is unlikely that you will ever get
fruit from it, but it can be a fun experiment.
I had one growing for a while in a pot, but it didn't survive this dry
winter we've had in Zone 5. ( I finally set up a humidifier which saved my
avocados, but it was too late for my mango.)
Don't know if my rambling helps you any, but I figured I'd give it a shot...

Kat

Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
J. Del Col

Yes, it is possible to grow a mango from seed. However, mangoes are
not indoor plants, and unless you live in a tropical or subtropical
environment, you will never have much success. Mango trees are
--big-- trees and need to be several years old before they bear fruit.
They cannot withstand frost.

In addition, most mangoes in commerce are hybrids, so the tree will
probably not be true to its parent and will not yield fruit of the
same quality.

J. Del Col

Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Pen

I don't know how easy it is to germinate with the husk on but if you
take your pruning shears and cut the husk open, there's a big nut
inside it. Remove the seed and cover with an inch of soil.
Germination happens in about a week or two.

I'm in Ontario too. They make lovely house plants if you pinch.
Large leaves looks very tropical. I've heard that the leaves can
cause skin allergies for some people. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Pen

I don't know how easy it is to germinate with the husk on but if you
take your pruning shears and cut the husk open, there's a big nut
inside it. Remove the seed and cover with an inch of soil.
Germination happens in about a week or two.

I'm in Ontario too. They make lovely house plants if you pinch.
Large leaves looks very tropical. I've heard that the leaves can
cause skin allergies for some people. Good luck!

[IMG] code is On

Mango Seed MOM PEAGRAM Edible Gardening 3 09-04-2004 11:02 AM
Mango seed MOM PEAGRAM Gardening 0 01-04-2004 07:32 AM
Mango seed MOM PEAGRAM Gardening 0 01-04-2004 07:12 AM
Mango seed MOM PEAGRAM Gardening 0 01-04-2004 07:02 AM
Mango seed MOM PEAGRAM Gardening 0 31-03-2004 07:41 PM