Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Marilyn

Default Black Mulch?

Hi
Is black mulch...."ground pallots" bad to use?
TIA,
Marilyn

Old 01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
paghat

In article , "Marilyn"
wrote:

Hi
Is black mulch...."ground pallots" bad to use?
TIA,
Marilyn

Ground up pallets is a wood waste product (primarily hardwood) frequently
used as a commercial compost ingredient, no different than if you mixed
some woodshavings in your home compost. Ground up pallets are also used in
manufacturing cheap paper, & mixed with recycled milkbottle plastic for
that ugly-ass "Plastic Lumber" product. Sawdust designated "ground pallet"
is not just pallets of course; it can include all mill waste, pulverized
trees that were not useful to make lumber, or any wood-waste that was
never painted or never chemically treated (in theory at least).

There's nothing wrong with it, but it would not have much nutrient value
if not composted with other things. I never heard of it as a BLACK mulch
product per se, but it SOUNDS like that would just be sawdust dyed black.
Unless it was just awfully cheap, like fully composted steer manure is way
cheap, I'd stick to steer compost, which looks like rich black loam when
used as a top-coating but is inert until mixed into soil, so it suppresses
germination of weeds. If black-dyed uncomposted sawdust were cheaper, & if
I could find out what they usedto dye it with, I'd consider such a
product. Some kinds of plants such as huckleberries & bunchberries really
require a lot of rotting wood in their soil to do well because rotting
wood dramatically increases the percentage of beneficial fungus in the
soil, so I can imagine a garden that would benefit from uncomposted
sawdust mixed in it or as a topcoating.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 AM
Stephen M. Henning

(paghat) wrote:

I never heard of it as a BLACK mulch
product per se, but it SOUNDS like that would just be sawdust dyed black.

From
http://home.nycap.rr.com/adamsgardendepot/id20.htm:

SWEET PEET BLACK MULCH IS GROUND EXTRA FINE AND MIXED WITH A
SPECIAL COMPOST THAT OTHERS JUST CAN NOT DUPLICATE. THEN IT IS
AGED IN A BURN PILE LONGER THAN MOST MULCHES. AS IT BREAKS
DOWN IN YOUR GARDENS, SWEET PEET MULCH ONLY TURNS DARKER AS
IT FEEDS YOUR PLANTS BETTER THAN ANY PELLET FERTILIZER ON THE
MARKET. IT'S UNIQUE BODY & COLOR GIVES SWEET PEET MULCH THE
QUALITY THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL PAY THE EXTRA DOLLAR TO HAVE AT
THEIR HOME. CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE USED SWEET PEET BLACK MULCH
IN THE PAST WILL USE NO OTHER IN THE FUTURE.

Sounds like a good marketing ploy for sawdust. Obviously it can't have
many nutrients or it would have a fertilizer label.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman