Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Cindy

Default Ok, I give up..what is it?

I have two plants in my yard that are mystifying me. The first one is in my
back yard, in mostly sun/ some shade until late afternoon and has never
bloomed in the last 3 years, if it even blooms at all.

Pics are he

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...at_is_it_2.jpg

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...what_is_it.jpg

The second is blooming right now, seems to be in a low tree/shrub height
about 3 foot right now. It reminds me of a peach tree yet this has never
bore any fruit at all in the last 2/3 years.

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...ure/Blooms.jpg
http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...re/blooms2.jpg

Thanks so much in advance,

Cindy
Somewhere in the hills of east TN, zone 7

All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Cereus-validus

Yucca flaccida.

Its probably not getting enough light to bloom. Yucca require full sun.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Hal

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:33:17 -0500, "Cindy"
wrote:

I have two plants in my yard that are mystifying me. The first one is in my
back yard, in mostly sun/ some shade until late afternoon and has never
bloomed in the last 3 years, if it even blooms at all.

Pics are he

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...at_is_it_2.jpg

http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/...what_is_it.jpg

This one looks like a crinum lily to me. (Sorry I couldn't find a
better picture showing foliage.)
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/crin_asi.cfm
There are several varieties and I believe some are hardy to Zone 6.
The leaves come from a bulb, bend over, some touch the ground and
continue to grow all summer. They get rather long here and in the
way of the lawn mower. The one I had was called "Milk and Wine"
because of the wine stripe down a milky white blossom. In Zone 8
they bloom well, and they also multiply. The bulb is big, my shovel
is worn out and I have a bad attitude about separating bulbs.
Tenn?
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...450610587.html

Regards,

Hal
Old 06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Marley1372

Those appear to be some sort of Yucca, which need alot of sunlight to bloom.
You appear to have lots of trees in the yard wich may be shading it too much.
They also do not like a whole lot of moisture.

Toad
Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Deb in AR

I'm new here, and new to gardening, but I am from the deserts of New Mexico,
where yucca thrives. This is nothing like the yucca I've grown up with.
Yucca glauca is the NM state flower, and what I've always seen as "yucca".
What I've known as yucca has long, pointy, hard leaves. In the center of
this mass of leaves will grow a tall stem, often flowering. So what you've
got there doesn't remind me of yucca, but I could be wrong. Here's a link
to yucca glauca.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...gi?symbol=YUGL

--
Deb in AR