Old 06-04-2004, 08:48 PM
JK

Default ford vs murray

I have an acre of lawn and an equal amount of new pasture needing to
be cut this year. I also need to tow a small manure spreader every
day. Now, a new 20 hp Murray sells for $2000 at Home Depot, while an
older, yet well-kept 1996 15 hp Ford can be bought for $2200 at my
neighbour's farm across the road. He says the Ford is a better
tractor, able to change oil and filters, etc. What do you think?
km
Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 PM
len gardener

g'day jk,

don't know if i can add much but might you be camparing apples and
oranges a little bit?

the ford will be a purpose built farm type tractor, diesel motor and
lots of other stuff that comes with the equipment, and the murray if i
get it right is more or less a lawn type tractor and maybe even petrol
engine as well, will do far less work than the real thing.

if i am close to the mark then for me i would be going for the ford,
it'll do far more for you as it is designed to be a tractor for any
sort of work related to farming and is going to do it far more
reliably.

i would also be taking some advice from the farmer as well.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 PM
FarmerDill

I have an acre of lawn and an equal amount of new pasture needing to
be cut this year. I also need to tow a small manure spreader every
day. Now, a new 20 hp Murray sells for $2000 at Home Depot, while an
older, yet well-kept 1996 15 hp Ford can be bought for $2200 at my
neighbour's farm across the road. He says the Ford is a better
tractor, able to change oil and filters, etc. What do you think?
km

That depends. Is the Ford a lawn mower, a garden tractor or a compact tractor.
Does it have an aircooled Briggs? A standard transmission. all of these were
made under the Ford name. The compact tractors will have water cooled diesels.
These little Japanese tractors are excellent but I doubt you will get one even
10 years old for that price.

Most of the Murrays (and MTDs) are primarily lawn mowers although there is an
ocassional garden tractor model. They are decent cheap mowers but even the lawn
and garden tractors are not much for pulling loads. Expect gearbox and bearing
problems if you pull many heavy loads and that includes the Ford lawnnmowers as
well as Murray and MTD.

[IMG] code is On

Did your Ford V8 manifold crack? Get $$$ Jim Gardening 0 21-01-2006 06:01 PM
locating an online ford mower dealer GARAGE OWL Lawns 2 06-12-2004 05:34 AM
86 Ford F150 Mike North Carolina 0 20-07-2004 05:09 AM
ford vs murray JK Gardening 17 09-04-2004 04:06 PM
1972 Ford 4000 tractor, need advertisements Tony Safina sci.agriculture 1 20-08-2003 09:22 PM