Old 07-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Cheema

Default Fig Pruning

I have just moved and saved cuttings of my Celeste fig. Previously, I
pretty much let it go, and it was about 12 feet tall by 8 feet in
spread. Now, I have limited space in my new garden and I want to try to
reign the new fig in to a shorter height and smaller spread. I'm
willing to sacrifice half of the crop, since I always got much more than
I could handle.

Does the Celeste handle hard pruning? I found the following general
information online about figs -- does this hold true for the Celeste?

Figs require very little pruning. Prune in late winter,
just before new growth begins. Make smooth clean cuts,
close to the lateral branch, and do not leave any stubs.
To control the fig tree's height, prune by opening the
bush, removing dead wood and suckers from the trunk and
main branches, then cutting off drooping branches. This
pruning method produces easier picking, larger fruit,
and better control of the tree's vigor. Prune
sufficiently to stimulate about a foot of new
growth each year on most branches.

http://www.plantanswers.com/garden_column/july02/2.htm

[IMG] code is On

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
Need advice on pruning young fig tree [email protected] Gardening 2 13-04-2006 07:13 PM
Pruning Fig Tree Brandon Gardening 7 20-01-2006 12:48 AM
pruning a fig Siouxzi North Carolina 9 04-11-2005 01:16 AM
Pruning a fig tree? Siouxzi North Carolina 6 11-08-2004 05:27 AM