Old 11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Lisa Hurley

Default new flowerbeds

I'm in the process of establishing some brand new beds -- we built a house
out in the country last summer -- in the middle of a pasture. I
grass-killed last fall and broke ground this spring -- added a light layer
of well-aged manure and just tilled that in. I'm in Zone 3 so will be a
while before I plant anything, but the weather is decent enough for this
prep work. The soil looks wonderful and I think it will drain like a dream
come true. However, it has been quite dry here the last few years and I'm
wondering if I should water-in these new beds before I plant anything?? The
soil is lovely and fluffy -- and not powder dry, but will be 2 to 3 weeks
before I get brave with cold-hardy plants. Water well now -- or water well
after planting??

Lisa

Old 11-04-2004, 08:32 PM
David J Bockman

No, watering in prior to planting can result in excessive compaction as you
tromp around working the beds. You can water in each plant as you go, or
wait until the end and use a sprinkler. )

Dave

news

Old 12-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Lisa Hurley

Thanks Dave -- my first experience with brand new beds -- always worked with
established beds before -- but being able to plan everything is FUN!

Lisa