Old 17-04-2004, 02:02 PM
pixi

Default Plantain Hosta

Think that's how it's spelled. I am looking for Plantain Hosta. It is not
bothered by sunlight. Anyone know where I can buy it? Thanx

Pixi

Old 17-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Hosta plantaginea

It is readily available at nurseries. You can even buy it from almost every
Home Depot, Lowes, etc. as a potted plant or packed in a paper container.

Variegated cultivars are for more popular.

Old 17-04-2004, 02:06 PM
pixi

Guess this was an idiot question. Seems that most hostas are plantain
lilies or hostas. What I am after are hostas that will tolerate full sun.

Thanks.

. ..

Old 17-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Pam - gardengal

"pixi" wrote in message
Think that's how it's spelled. I am looking for Plantain Hosta. It is

not
bothered by sunlight. Anyone know where I can buy it? Thanx

Pixi

Pretty much any hostas can tolerate sun provided they are given the correct
conditions. But it depends a lot on where you are located and your soil
conditions. In general, hostas with a lot of gold variegation or solid
yellow foliage will tolerate sun better than those with lots of white
variegation or with blue leaves. Also, very small leaved hostas regardlesss
of foliage coloring are more sun tolerant. All will need considerably more
attention to watering than those planted in the shade.

pam - gardengal

Old 17-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Cereus-validus

No, that wasn't an idiot question.
If it was I would have let you know!

Try this Hosta website:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Old 17-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Cereus-validus" wrote:

No, that wasn't an idiot question.
If it was I would have let you know!

Try this Hosta website:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

This one too--
http://www.hostas.com/hostas/index.html
and see if there is a Society near you-
http://www.hostas.com/index-hosta-societies.html
Jim

[IMG] code is On

What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 8 17-04-2004 07:30 PM
Plantain Hosta pixi Gardening 1 17-04-2004 06:02 PM
Killex could not kill Broadleaf plantain? lbbs Gardening 3 09-10-2003 03:23 AM