Old 17-04-2004, 02:07 PM
occupant

Default rhubarb / Thanks Jan

Thanks, Jan for your detailed reply. I now khow where and when and how
to plant. Your reply has special meaning because I grew up in the
Yukon, your neighbour! We lived in a trailer in a gravel pit so nothing
grew there.

Old 21-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
occupant wrote:

Thanks, Jan for your detailed reply. I now khow where and when and how
to plant. Your reply has special meaning because I grew up in the
Yukon, your neighbour! We lived in a trailer in a gravel pit so nothing
grew there.

Did you grow up in Dawson City or one of the other mining camps? Trailers
and gravel pits seem to sprout like mushrooms around miners : ) Rhubarb
will grow in mining camp gravel -- I've done it! (Used to gold mine in
the 40mile, just across the border from Dawson, and did all of my
grocery shopping in Dawson.)

You're welcome! Be sure to put some of your earliest rhubarb in the
freezer, for sauce over ice cream in the winter.

Jan
Old 02-05-2004, 09:02 AM
occupant

Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
occupant wrote:

Thanks, Jan for your detailed reply. I now khow where and when and how
to plant. Your reply has special meaning because I grew up in the
Yukon, your neighbour! We lived in a trailer in a gravel pit so nothing
grew there.

Did you grow up in Dawson City or one of the other mining camps? Trailers
and gravel pits seem to sprout like mushrooms around miners : ) Rhubarb
will grow in mining camp gravel -- I've done it! (Used to gold mine in
the 40mile, just across the border from Dawson, and did all of my
grocery shopping in Dawson.)

Grew up in Whitehorse area. Have been to Dawson a couple of times,
Fairbanks once.
Liked Fairbanks very much. Dawson City has excellent soil and sun for
growing. Many fantastic gardens in
Dawson. Whitehorse does less well but I am not sure why. With Gold
doing better more recently there
should be a return to gold mining in Alaska and the Yukon.