Old 21-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Eliot Bisky

Default Recommendations For Summer Lawn Care?!

Hello all,
I posted a few days ago regarding my lawn and what I should
do about it. I have since got a few books from the library and have been
browsing around on my state's (IL) extension site. I still have a few more
questions that I can't answer myself.
To give you some background. I live in central Illinois and our lawn has
not really been taken care of for the last 3 years or so. We mow it
regularly (on high setting) but we have not done anything else like weeding,
fertilizing, seeding. The problem with the front of our lawn is that it is
just thinning out. It does not seem to grow as fast as the backyard and is
not lush with grass. The only way I can describe it is thinned out. How
should I go about repairing my front lawn?
I have read that it is best to fertilize the lawn in early fall / late
spring. It is now summer time here in Illinois and it starting to get a
hotter. I was wondering what I should do this summer to help my lawn out.
Should I even attempt to fertilize? Maybe I should just weed, and then wait
to fertilize in fall? I honestly have no clue how to go about summer care
for a lawn. And will fertilizing thicken up my yard? Like I said it is
pretty thinned out, is there anyway I could spread seed?
Also one last thing. I think I have a mole problem because I can see
rows in the lawn where moles would have been. How do I go about checking to
see if I have moles and how to go about getting them out of my yard.

Thanks for suggestions,

-EB

Old 21-04-2004, 10:02 PM
David J Bockman

See
http://www.espoma.com/default.asp?st...=detail&id= 4
for some good advice.

Dave

Old 22-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Eliot Bisky

Hmmm,
What I can get out of that is that I should use some type of "organic"
fertilizer in early summer. What are the advantages of using the organic
fertilizer? Should I weed before fertilizing? and will fertilizing thicken
up my front yard?

Thanks again, more advice welcome

-EB