Old 22-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Fleemo

Default Straggily Linaria

While on a walk recently, I came across a dazzling plant with clusters
of brilliant yellow and contrasting magenta. With the help of a
friend, I found it to be a Linaria, and I believe the variety is
"Flamenco" (though my friend thought it might be "Crown Jewels").

I dashed off to the nursery where they had one straggily plant left,
with floppy foliage, but with many buds yet to open. I bought it, and
now my question is whether I should cut it way back and hope for
stronger, more upright foliage? Or would that be eliminating the only
chance of flowering for this lovely plant?

Might it come back next year, self-seed, or is this a brief though
lovely addition to my garden?

Thanks.

Fleemo
Zone 9
Old 22-04-2004, 04:03 AM
gregpresley

linaria is an annual. It will bloom through the summer in very cool summer
climates - otherwise it will peter out as soon as the days get really hot in
July - it MIGHT flower again in fall, if it hasn't dried out and disappeared
by then.
om...

Old 22-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Cereus-validus

Linaria is a fairly large genus with both annual and perennial species. Its
not just a single plant.

"gregpresley" wrote in message
linaria is an annual. It will bloom through the summer in very cool summer
climates - otherwise it will peter out as soon as the days get really hot

in
July - it MIGHT flower again in fall, if it hasn't dried out and

disappeared
by then.
om...

Old 22-04-2004, 12:03 PM
dps

Fleemo wrote:
...now my question is whether I should cut it way back and hope for
stronger, more upright foliage? Or would that be eliminating the only
chance of flowering for this lovely plant?

Might it come back next year, self-seed, or is this a brief though
lovely addition to my garden?

I grew some linaria last year (don't remember the variety) and it was a
cool weather crop. I cut the flowers several times, reducing the plant
to very little, but it came back regularly until the hot weather came
along. It was advertised as an annual. When it wimped out in the hot
weather I mowed it all and it showed no resurgence in the fall.

Most linaria appears to be low growing, but this one was about 24" high
with small flowers that looked like miniature snapdragons. Bought it as
plugs.
Old 24-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Fleemo

I grew some linaria last year (don't remember the variety) and it was a
cool weather crop. I cut the flowers several times, reducing the plant
to very little, but it came back regularly until the hot weather came
along. It was advertised as an annual. When it wimped out in the hot
weather I mowed it all and it showed no resurgence in the fall.

Most linaria appears to be low growing, but this one was about 24" high
with small flowers that looked like miniature snapdragons. Bought it as
plugs.

Thanks for the input folks.

Yes, I've seen photos of the Linaria that resembles snapdragons, but
this is quite different. A photo can be seen he
http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/16261/

I suppose I should have been more specific. It's a Linaria reticulata
"Flamenco." I'll try cutting it back, as it's about a foot tall now
and rather straggily. I just hope it comes back before the hot
weather sets in.

Thanks.