Old 22-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Genevieve

Default Used coffee grounds?

What is the best way to use spent coffee grounds in my garden? It is
made up of mostly sun-loving perennials.

Genevieve
zone 9
Old 22-04-2004, 06:03 PM
~El Gorda~

"Genevieve" wrote in message
om...
What is the best way to use spent coffee grounds in my garden? It is
made up of mostly sun-loving perennials.

Genevieve
zone 9

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and purchase a gallon of
muriatic acid. Pour your coffee grounds into a mixing bowl and add the
muriatic acid slowly, mixing as you go. Continue until you have a thick
paste, about the consistency of Elmer's Glue. Apply four tablespoons of
this mixture around each annual or perennial in your garden. For large
perennials such as hosta, you may wish to double the dose.

Any left over muriatic acid makes a great tooth paste when combined with
baking soda.

Your friend,
Jan

Old 22-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Brian

If you have relatively small quantities then to simply spread thinly on any
ground is the best method. Larger amounts; mix in with your compost.
Best Wishes.
om...

Old 23-04-2004, 12:05 AM
eclectic

Why would anyone want to add muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to
coffee grounds??! What benefit would this acidic paste have for
plants? I've used muriatic acid to etch concrete and had to wear
rubber gloves so that my fingers wouldn't dissolve. I wouldn't
brush my teeth with it. If you add an acid to baking soda, it reacts
instantly. Is this a sick joke?

"~El Gorda~" wrote in message

om...

Old 23-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Salty Thumb

"eclectic" wrote in
:

Why would anyone want to add muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to
coffee grounds??! What benefit would this acidic paste have for
plants? I've used muriatic acid to etch concrete and had to wear
rubber gloves so that my fingers wouldn't dissolve. I wouldn't
brush my teeth with it. If you add an acid to baking soda, it reacts
instantly. Is this a sick joke?

every now and then you'll get a reply to a question that involves
muriatic acid. do a search for rec.gardens and muriatic acid. probably
the same person every time.

[IMG] code is On

Uses for "used" coffee grounds? Ablang Gardening 5 28-05-2005 06:13 PM
coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM