Old 24-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Charles

Default OT; Interesting Plant Growth

I found a plant growing wild in So. Cal. The early part of the
growth, the lower section of the plant had regular leaves, but the
upper part had apparently abandoned the leaves and the stems had grown
frills, or something; raised sections along each part of the stem on
either side, flat and about 1/2 inches wide.

My guess water that it changed to this form of growth to conserve
water.

there is probably a name for this type growth and for this plant, I
know neither.

--

- Charles
-
Old 24-04-2004, 09:02 AM
eclectic

I found a plant growing wild in So. Cal. The early part of the
growth, the lower section of the plant had regular leaves, but the
upper part had apparently abandoned the leaves and the stems had grown
frills, or something; raised sections along each part of the stem on
either side, flat and about 1/2 inches wide.

My guess water that it changed to this form of growth to conserve
water.

there is probably a name for this type growth and for this plant, I
know neither.

Are you familiar with Euonymous alatus (Burning Bush, Winged
Spindle Tree etc.). It produces blade-like corky ridges, (green to purplish
brown), along the young twigs, but the ridges break off on older twigs.
Is the adaptation you found similar?
Old 24-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Charles

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:53:29 -0400, "eclectic"
wrote:

I found a plant growing wild in So. Cal. The early part of the
growth, the lower section of the plant had regular leaves, but the
upper part had apparently abandoned the leaves and the stems had grown
frills, or something; raised sections along each part of the stem on
either side, flat and about 1/2 inches wide.

My guess water that it changed to this form of growth to conserve
water.

there is probably a name for this type growth and for this plant, I
know neither.

Are you familiar with Euonymous alatus (Burning Bush, Winged
Spindle Tree etc.). It produces blade-like corky ridges, (green to purplish
brown), along the young twigs, but the ridges break off on older twigs.
Is the adaptation you found similar?

Somewhat similar. It didn't look like the web pictures I found of
Euonymous alatus. In the area where the winged ridges were present
there were no leaves, like the plant had shifted modes of growth.

I checked the California flora book I have (Jepson), Euonymous is
listed, but not growing in the same conditions I found this plant.
The one I found was in dry mountains, fully exposed to the sun, and
very little water, seasonal in the winter. The ridges didn't appear
corky, but that could have happened later in the year.

--

- Charles
-