Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 AM
pixi

Default Mattock

Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Vox Humana

"pixi" wrote in message
Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Lee Valley Tools has great tools. You can see if they have anything that
meets your needs he
http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp

Old 03-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:35:23 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

Like another poster mentioned, Lee Valley tools are very good quality.
I've found good tools at the local farmer's coop (farmers do not have
the time to mess with cheap tools). Lower quality tools at Home
Depot and Lowes. True Value might be okay.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Vox Humana

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:35:23 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

Like another poster mentioned, Lee Valley tools are very good quality.
I've found good tools at the local farmer's coop (farmers do not have
the time to mess with cheap tools). Lower quality tools at Home
Depot and Lowes. True Value might be okay.

The great thing about Lee Valley is that the carry some unusual things that
I don't see in any stores in my area. I got one of their sod lifters and I
use it a lot, especially this time of year when I am prepping new beds and
edging old ones. Their prices are reasonable too.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

"pixi" wrote in message ...
Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Try A.M. Leonard. www.amleo.com

Very good service, IMHO.

J. Del Col

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

"pixi" wrote in message ...
Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

All you may need is a new handle.

Any farm supply store (Southern States, Tractor Supply Co., or home
improvement (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) place should have a selection
of handles. Take the mattock head with you and see which handle fits
best.

Mattock handles usually are not wedged into the socket, so replacing
one is easy.

All bets are off if the mattock is one of the Groundbreakers brand
that has the square socket. I've never seen replacement handles for
them.

J. Del Col

J. Del Col
Old 04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"pixi" wrote in message ...
Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

The usual mattocks are much too heavy.

Thanx

Look into an "Italian Grape Hoe"
The handles may be fitted a bit higher than waist high but- -
Old 05-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:35:23 -0400, pixi wrote:
Anyone know where I might buy a light weight mattock with a waist-high
handle? Had a great one but can't keep the head (blade?) on it.

Have you considered a Pulaski? They're a bit shorter... about hip-high,
but they can move. Head weight is about 3.5 lbs iirc.

[IMG] code is On

Mattock pixi Gardening 3 05-05-2004 02:02 PM
Mattock pixi Gardening 0 05-05-2004 11:02 AM
Mattock? Frogleg Gardening 6 21-07-2003 06:43 AM