Old 03-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Dave K.

Default Tall shrub or tree that can be grown in large planter on a deck?

We will soon have a new 2nd story deck, and along one side, we want to plant
something tall to block the view of our neighbor's house. To do this, we'd
like to buy a few large pots or planters to put along the railing on the
deck's floor and plant either a tall shrub or small tree. We don't want to
have to build a lattice above the railing for vines ... we prefer a small
tree or shrub. This part of the deck is shaded through at least 50% of the
day, so it should be a shrub or tree that can tolerate partial shade. And it
should be suitable to be grown in a large planter or pot, so that rules out
anything that has a large root system. Ideally, we'd like it to grow to
about 6 feet or more. We live in Minnesota (is that zone 4?), so it needs to
be a pretty hardy tree or shrub.

Can you think of any tree or shrub that would work? Preferably it should be
fast growing and kind of dense, so it blocks the view of our neighbors
house. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! And any tips you may
have on what pots or planters would work particularly well for the
recommended tree or shrub on the floor of a deck, would be welcomed!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
jfrost

I have grown Oleander in a pot & they do well.
I would suggest you include a deep water tray, they like
to drink up water when dry windy weather is around.
You will need to root trim once a year then add compost.

other ideas-- any evergreen shrub you would put in the ground,choose one
with berries in winter & have
an extra plus.{ex: Nelly R. Stevens}Nandinas work really nice!
/elagneous (spelling?),/Viburnums,/ Bay tree? / citrus/ dwarf fruit? ---
I would also highly recommend you fertilize with organic fertilizer-
I have had long term vigor with that method.
here is site i like...
www.dirtdoctor.com, can join the discussion group & see what others
think

take picutures & let us know!!!!!!!!!