Old 26-05-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Raised bed planter on a deck?

I've seen some descriptions of building raised beds for access from a
wheelchair. I'd like to build one for use on a deck, but I'm
worried about the weight of such a planter when it's wet and
saturated.

I had been thinking about 4'x2', and about 1' tall. That's only 8
cubic feet, which isn't that much weight dry. Or is it?

A google on the weight of topsoil suggested that 1 cubic yard of
topsoil is about 2500lbs! Its been a while since I've been in school
but isn't a cubic yard still 9 cubic feet? That would make a planter
that's 8 cubic feet pretty heavy indeed.

Filled it with water and it would weigh close to 500lbs. Add that to
the weight of the dirt and That's some hefty weight. I've seen some
other estimates as low as 1600lbs dry for topsoil. That still seems
like a lot for a deck.

Am I missing something here? How large can a raised planter be for
use on a porch or deck?

Swyck
Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:40:52 -0400, Swyck wrote:

[...]

A sturdy built deck will hold it. Use light weight potting soil in it like
pro mix for example.
Old 27-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 6:40 PM
[...]

The size of the planter/container you're considering (it's not a raised bed
unless it's on the ground, technically) is good. You don't want to use topsoil
at all, no way, never. You'll need a well-draining, very lightweight potting
mix. This is available ready-mixed or you can buy the components and put it
together yourself. It's not going to weigh anything close to what topsoil
would (and topsoil would have many other problems in that situation anyway).
The components of the mix are things like peat/peat substitute, perlite and/or
vermiculite, ground bark, and prepared minerals (in tiny amounts) such as
superphosphate, dolomitic limestone, etc. These mixes are used in
balcony/deck/roof plantings everywhere and make it possible to grow things
safely in those situations.

Have fun with it!
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Bob

wrote in message
I've seen some descriptions of building raised beds for access from a
wheelchair. I'd like to build one for use on a deck,

If you don't isolate the "bed" from the deck, so that the deck can dry out
and breathe, you will quickly rot the deck. I would suggest the bed be
raised above the deck so there are at least a few inches of space between.
The bed should have a waterproof bottom pan to catch runoff and divert it
away from the deck structure.

Bob

Old 27-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:40:52 -0400, wrote:
I've seen some descriptions of building raised beds for access from a
wheelchair. I'd like to build one for use on a deck, but I'm
worried about the weight of such a planter when it's wet and
saturated.

I had been thinking about 4'x2', and about 1' tall. That's only 8
cubic feet, which isn't that much weight dry. Or is it?

A google on the weight of topsoil suggested that 1 cubic yard of
topsoil is about 2500lbs! Its been a while since I've been in school
but isn't a cubic yard still 9 cubic feet? That would make a planter
that's 8 cubic feet pretty heavy indeed.

27 cu ft. (3x3x3)

And remember that the soil will be wet, plus the weight of the plants
(which will be 80-90% water), and the weight of the planter itself,
and you're starting to talk about a fairly hefty load in one part
of the deck. And then you need to think about windload on the plants
if there's much in the way of wind in your area.

Most decks aren't built to handle much load, and they're expecting
the load to be fairly evenly distributed. If this deck is off the
ground very far, I would be especially careful -- the chance of serious
injury should the deck collapse is pretty good on a deck 5 ft off the ground,
compared to a deck 6" off the ground.

You might be able to retrofit some extra supports underneath the deck.
However, I've seen so many improperly built decks (nailed to the siding,
not to any properly installed ledgers) and so many that have not been
well maintained, that I would hesitate to recommend adding a goodly static
load to one side of a deck (especially one with any elevation) without
letting someone who's got a fair background in structural engineering
look it over.

Plan B: build a raised planter on its own supports to the ground off the
side of the deck.

Plan C: those big foamy-fiberglas "pots" weigh next to nothing,
hold a good sized plant, and can be moved around as needed, and unloaded
completely during the non-growing season. They could be located over the
most strongly supported areas moderately easily.

Or use something like the soiless mixes... then you're essentially only
dealing with water weight.