Old 08-05-2004, 03:04 AM
FireBrick

Default Mothers day Tulips

My daughter gave my wife a LARGE pot of beautiful yellow tulips.
I think it's too late for them here in Chicago.

How can I save them, plant them, whatever to have them bloom again next
year.

Please and thank you.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to
others.

Bill H. in Chicagoland

Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:41:47 -0500, FireBrick wrote:
My daughter gave my wife a LARGE pot of beautiful yellow tulips.
I think it's too late for them here in Chicago.

How can I save them, plant them, whatever to have them bloom again next
year.

When the blooms fade, dump the clump into a hole you've dug outdoors,
maintaining the same soil level. Water and fertilize, remove any fruits
that start to form. Mark the clump, and in the fall, dig, split and replant
just like purchased bulbs. Chances are, you won't get much of a bloom
from them next year, but if you're a pretty good gardener, with a fair amount
of luck, they'll rebloom well the following year.

Kay
Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Ann

"FireBrick" expounded:

My daughter gave my wife a LARGE pot of beautiful yellow tulips.
I think it's too late for them here in Chicago.

How can I save them, plant them, whatever to have them bloom again next
year.

I did the following once, and the tulips bloomed again for many years:

Dig a hole the size of the pot, but deep enough that the bulbs will be
down about 8". Unpot the tulips and put them down to the bottom of
the hole, but don't fill in the soil, just a bit. Let the foliage
ripen and remove any seedhead, then when it's all brown, fill in the
hole. The foliage will come off with a gentle tug when it's ready.
They should rebloom the following year
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

Where to buy yellow rose bush in Plano, TX for Mothers Day???? Billy Roses 1 06-05-2004 11:35 PM
San Diego Tropical Fish Society meets Mothers Day May 11 SanDiegoFishes Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
Happy Mothers Day John Rutz Ponds 19 13-05-2003 02:32 AM
San Diego Tropical Fish Society meets Mothers Day May 11 SanDiegoFishes Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-05-2003 05:44 PM
San Diego Tropical Fish Society meets Mothers Day May 11 SanDiegoFishes Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-05-2003 05:44 PM