Old 11-05-2004, 02:08 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default lawn food - Howard Garrett

For a couple of articles on just this type of thing, try Howard
Garrett's website. People either love him or hate him, but I have
several of his books and have found them very helpful. And lots of the
stuff in the books is on his website.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com

hth,
John

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Gord" wrote in message
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to

steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Thanks

Gord

By steering away from "commercial fertilizers", I assume you mean

the
manufactured synthetic chemical kind normally favored for lawn care?

Smart
move - perhaps the best thing you can do aside from removing the

lawn
entirely. There are a number of option:

Get a mulching mower. Field studies conducted by the Center of Urban
Horticulture at the University of Washington have determined that

the
regular use of a mulching lawn mower will reduce if not eliminate

the need
for supplemental fertilizing, as well as keep your lawn healthy,

reduce
thatch build up and supress weeds.

If you are prone to annual weeds, try corn gluten meal. This is an

organic
product with the ability to prevent the complete germination of weed

seeds.
Since it is a corn by-product, it also contains nitrogen (10-0-0),

the most
critical of lawn nutrients.

Top dress your lawn twice yearly with screened compost or alfalfa

meal.
Watering periodically with a seaweed supplement will provided an

assortment
of needed trace elements. And there are scores of organic soil

amendments
which can be used to supplement, depending on what you specific lawn
requires. When in doubt, do a soil test first.

Finally, there are dozens of web sites that address organic lawn

care - no
synthetic fertilizers and no chemcial weed controls. Simply changing
fertilizing methods is not enough - you need to understand the

correct
methods of irrigation and mowing as well. Just do a google search

under
'organic lawn care' and do a bit of reading first. In proper

combination,
these factors can release your lawn (and your checkbook)from

chemical
bondage.

pam - gardengal