Old 13-05-2004, 03:03 AM
spider

Default I need some help with a tree ID.

In the yard next to mine there is a flowering tree
that I can't ID. It's 20-25 feet tall, round in form, and has a gray bark.
I'm not sure it is a tree at all, maybe a viburnum gone wild.

Here is a link for some photos.

http://www.picturetrail.com/spyder8

Old 13-05-2004, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

It certainly appears, superficially, to be a Viburnum: Leaves opposite,
strongly serrate, broadly ovate. Flowers are cymes, broadly hemispherical.
It all points to Viburnum. Are the flowers potently fragrant?

Possibilities include Viburnum carlesii
Viburnum x carlcephallum
Viburnum × bodnantense ('The leaves of all cultivars are similar with deeply
impressed veins, red petioles, red stems and slight pubescence on the lower
surface. Leaves, when bruised, smell like green peppers.'-- Dirr)

Dave

Old 13-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Looks like a tree hydrangea.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 15-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Tony Z

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message ...
Looks like a tree hydrangea.

--

"spider" wrote in message
In the yard next to mine there is a flowering tree
that I can't ID. It's 20-25 feet tall, round in form, and has a gray bark.
I'm not sure it is a tree at all, maybe a viburnum gone wild.

Here is a link for some photos.

http://www.picturetrail.com/spyder8

If you have not cone so already and there are still flowers, smell them. At leat a couple viburnums have sort of stinky flowers.

Tony