Old 14-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Romy Beeck

Default Diging up shrubs

I have a chance at some nice shrubs. Problem is that they been planted about
2-3 years ago. I heard most shrubs growing for that long are hard to replant
becouse of you have to get all the roots or they will die. Anyone on here
have any ideas on all to keep them alive when replanting them. thank you.

Old 14-05-2004, 02:05 PM
escapee

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:53:13 -0500, "Romy Beeck" opined:

I have a chance at some nice shrubs. Problem is that they been planted about
2-3 years ago. I heard most shrubs growing for that long are hard to replant
becouse of you have to get all the roots or they will die. Anyone on here
have any ideas on all to keep them alive when replanting them. thank you.

They can definitely be transplanted, but this is the worst possible time to do
it. It is much better to go in now with a sharp shooter shovel and start
pruning the roots all around the shrubs all summer. Keep doing that by making a
trench of sorts around it and in the fall after all heat is gone, move the
shrubs. Yes, do take as much as the root ball with the soil in tact.
Old 15-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Tony Z

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message ...
I have a chance at some nice shrubs. Problem is that they been planted about
2-3 years ago. I heard most shrubs growing for that long are hard to replant
becouse of you have to get all the roots or they will die. Anyone on here
have any ideas on all to keep them alive when replanting them. thank you.

Here's whet I do professionally for all shrubs...
General rule is to the degree the fine roots are removed is to the
degree one removes leaves. Error on the side of too many leaves
removed. leave branches. Generally on old shrubs and loose soil that
falles apart leaveing few fine roots, I remove all leaves.
One could theoretically mist the plant just like when cuttings are
misted until they root. But you may not have the setup to do that!
the bare stems do contain chlorophyl and continue to make energy for
the plant. The reason for leaf removal is that is where the plant
loses lots of water to evaporation and cooling.
Also check around for local nurseries or hardwares that carry bagged
amendment or organic potting soil that has organic goodies like kelp,
rock dust, and especially beneficial fungi (Funguses) that actually
connect to the roots and act like root hairs and take in moisture,
plus give the plant other factors that give the plant a glow of
health.
Don't fertilize with the "usual" fertilizers. Too much nitrogen and
the bacteria have a ball rotting and breaking down any(well a lot of
types and states or condiions) plant tissue.Tony