Old 14-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Larry

Default bulbs

I planted some bulbs last year. After the flowers are gone how long should I
wait before I cut down the leaves and stems?

Old 14-05-2004, 07:04 PM
SugarChile

You can cut down the stems anytime after the flowers are finished--in fact,
it's a good idea to do it, so the plant won't put any energy into making
seeds.

You should not cut back the leaves at all. You should wait until they turn
brown and wither before removing them. As a new gardener, this used to
bother me, but I soon learned there are lots of other things to do and turn
my attention to, and before you know it, it will be high summer and the
foliage will be gone.

You can plant perennials around the bulbs, so that their foliage will help
distract from the fading bulb foliage.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

. ..

Old 15-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Brian

The RHS did extensive trials over many years and their results showed that
the leaves of spring bulbous plants can be removed after 42 days, even if
still green. Cut before that time does cause deterioration but the 42 day
timing gives no problems.
I have kept to this for thirty years and all has been well and productive.
Best Wishes.
"SugarChile" wrote in message
news
You can cut down the stems anytime after the flowers are finished--in
fact,
it's a good idea to do it, so the plant won't put any energy into making
seeds.

You should not cut back the leaves at all. You should wait until they

turn
brown and wither before removing them. As a new gardener, this used to
bother me, but I soon learned there are lots of other things to do and

turn
my attention to, and before you know it, it will be high summer and the
foliage will be gone.

You can plant perennials around the bulbs, so that their foliage will help
distract from the fading bulb foliage.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

. ..

Old 15-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Brian

I should have stated that the 42 days is taken from the day the bloom has
finished. Sorry
Best Wishes.
"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old 15-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:11:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

I planted some bulbs last year. After the flowers are gone how long should I
wait before I cut down the leaves and stems?

You can cut the flower STEM(s) off after the flower dies. I let leaves
stay until they are showing signs of yellowing/browning. Then I cut them
off.

Tom

Old 18-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Tom Randy in
news
On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:11:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

I planted some bulbs last year. After the flowers are gone how long
should I wait before I cut down the leaves and stems?

You can cut the flower STEM(s) off after the flower dies. I let leaves
stay until they are showing signs of yellowing/browning. Then I cut
them off.

Tom

option:
harvest the seeds, let the foliage do what it wants (or shove it down, if
you need to hide it)

[IMG] code is On

bulbs lois Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Ponds (alternative) 1 30-01-2003 05:21 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:55 PM