Old 16-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Arthur Edwards

Default Wisteria has very few flowers this year

We have a 15 year old wisterial on the side of our porch that is quite
large. For may years we have had huge blooms but this year the bloom is
perhaps 5% of prior years. We live in a Boston suburb and the winter was
particularly cold. Is it likely the plant has died? Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks....

Old 17-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:25:33 +0000, Arthur Edwards wrote:

We have a 15 year old wisterial on the side of our porch that is quite
large. For may years we have had huge blooms but this year the bloom is
perhaps 5% of prior years. We live in a Boston suburb and the winter was
particularly cold. Is it likely the plant has died? Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks....

Doesn't it have any leaves yet? Mine is in full bloom, dozens of flowers
and the carpenter bees are really going nuts over them.

Have you been fertilzeing it at all? How are you pruning it in late winter?

Old 17-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Vox Humana

"Arthur Edwards" wrote in message

We have a 15 year old wisterial on the side of our porch that is quite
large. For may years we have had huge blooms but this year the bloom is
perhaps 5% of prior years. We live in a Boston suburb and the winter was
particularly cold. Is it likely the plant has died? Does anyone have any
suggestions?

I have always read that to keep wisteria blooming it needs to be pruned hard
each year.

Old 19-05-2004, 06:02 PM
SAS567

I have always read that to keep wisteria blooming it needs to be pruned hard
each year.

I have 3 Wisteria's and I only prune one of them very hard because of it's
location. It's growing on a trellis next to some stairs leading from the upper
deck to the lower deck. It never has more than 2 blooms, but the other 2 that
just get a little pruning in the fall are always covered with blooms.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 23-05-2004, 06:02 PM
David

SAS567 wrote:
I have always read that to keep wisteria blooming it needs to be pruned hard
each year.

I have 3 Wisteria's and I only prune one of them very hard because of it's
location. It's growing on a trellis next to some stairs leading from the upper
deck to the lower deck. It never has more than 2 blooms, but the other 2 that
just get a little pruning in the fall are always covered with blooms.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

We have several Wisteria on an arbor on the side of our house. We bought
the house two years ago and I know very little about growing Wisteria. I
have not pruned them at all and this year they were just loaded down
with blossoms.
David (zone 9)