Old 17-05-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Another Question about Monarch caterpillars

I counted 13 monarch larvae on our milkweeds the other day. Now I only see
one. Where the heck do they go? They seem to disappear when they're fully
grown, but I don't see any chrysalises anywhere. Thnx

Barb C

Old 18-05-2004, 02:15 AM
Mike LaMana

They sort of go up and down the stem..hide on other plants...move back to
feed. It is odd. You know your really cool when you have monarchs
caterpillars, the milkweed tussock moth, and the milkweed cerambycid beetle
all at the same time. Now there's a lofty perch!

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

.. .

Old 18-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Michelle

The wasp stings them and lays a solitary egg on them then shoves them
down a hole then it's breakfast lunch and dinner for the wasp larve
sorry to hear about your loss
I keep my catapillers in a butter fly pavilion until they change then
when they emerge a day later I put them out in my garden. then the
bad waspies can't get them. but birds don't eat monarch catipillers
because they are poisinus and taste bad so dont' blame any birdies

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:15:45 -0400, "Mike LaMana"

Old 22-05-2004, 12:02 AM

We have those type of wasps here in Florida, but they don't seem to bother
the monarch larvae, just the big ugly plant eating lime green ones. In
fact, we're always told not to kill these caterpillars because the wasp
larvae will do it for us. The wasps here are supposed to be the "good
guys". or so I've been told.

Barb C.