Old 18-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Ignoramus13397

Default growing mint

can it be grown in partial shade?

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old 18-05-2004, 06:11 PM
David Ross

Ignoramus13397 wrote:

can it be grown in partial shade?

Most definitely, yes. While heat does not seem to bother it, hot
sun does. Mint grows quite well in full or part shade.

I suggest you grow it in a container and not in the ground. Mint
can be very invasive. It also likes lots of water. I have it
growing luxuriously in a 10-inch clay pot. It's watered every
second morning by the lawn sprinklers. Every noon, it gets a very
short sprinkling, just to dampen things down (primarily for my
camellias and azaleas).

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 18-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Ignoramus13397

In article , David Ross wrote:
Ignoramus13397 wrote:

can it be grown in partial shade?

Most definitely, yes. While heat does not seem to bother it, hot
sun does. Mint grows quite well in full or part shade.

I suggest you grow it in a container and not in the ground.

What about the winter? We live in Zone 5 with -5F occurring every
winter. How would it survive in a container?

Mint can be very invasive. It also likes lots of water. I have it
growing luxuriously in a 10-inch clay pot. It's watered every
second morning by the lawn sprinklers. Every noon, it gets a very
short sprinkling, just to dampen things down (primarily for my
camellias and azaleas).

Thanks, I will reconsider my mint plans.
Old 18-05-2004, 07:05 PM
eclectic

"Ignoramus13397" wrote in message
can it be grown in partial shade?

I once grew mint in sun/shade until I found out how
invasive it can be. Are you considering growing
it in a pot?

Regards.

Old 18-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Cereus-validus

Yes it can grow in partial shade.
You can put it in marmalade!

You can grow it in a hat.
You can grow it with a cat.

You can grow it anywhere.
There's no problem, it doesn't care.

Old 19-05-2004, 05:02 AM
A mukluk wearing troll

On 18 May 2004 17:31:33 GMT, Ignoramus13397
wrote:

In article , David Ross wrote:
Ignoramus13397 wrote:

can it be grown in partial shade?

Most definitely, yes. While heat does not seem to bother it, hot
sun does. Mint grows quite well in full or part shade.

I suggest you grow it in a container and not in the ground.

What about the winter? We live in Zone 5 with -5F occurring every
winter. How would it survive in a container?

Just fine. It winters over in a pot on my balcony quite nicely in
Canadian Zone 6b, equivalent to your USDA 5. The trick it to
tuck the pot in next to something with mass... the side of the
building, other pots, or dig it into the ground. Mint is tough. It
will handle USDA zone 4. It's the rapid changes in soil mass
termperature that tough on potted plants over a winter.
Once it gets frozen, it's important to keep the plant frozen until
spring. By either burying the pot in the ground, or tucking it in next
to a big mass, you slow down the freeze/thaw cycle and allow that to
happen.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
Old 19-05-2004, 05:02 PM