Old 19-05-2004, 03:02 PM
graham

Default wet compost

i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings
the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that
dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a
few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem

any Ideas

Many thanks to all that reply

Graham

Old 19-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:00:28 +0100, "graham"
wrote:

i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings
the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that
dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a
few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem

any Ideas

Many thanks to all that reply

Graham

Vent holes will help. I probably would not bother unless the heap has
a bad smell. Adding some dry stuff, like dried leaves, sawdust, dry
grass, etc will help too.
Old 20-05-2004, 04:03 PM
eclectic

wrote:

i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings
the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that
dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a
few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem

any Ideas

Many thanks to all that reply

Graham

Vent holes will help. I probably would not bother unless the heap has
a bad smell. Adding some dry stuff, like dried leaves, sawdust, dry
grass, etc will help too.

Another dry material you could add is shredded newspaper. Avoid anything
with a glossy surface, and magazine inserts because they contain unwanted
chemicals.

Regards.

Old 20-05-2004, 07:03 PM
simy1

"graham" wrote in message ...
i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings
the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that
dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a
few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem

keep a pile of dried leaves or wood chips by the composter. Add in
equal amounts by weight when you add the waste.

Old 27-05-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

On 5/20/04 10:40 AM, in article
, "simy1"
wrote:

"graham" wrote in message
i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings
the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that
dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a
few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem

keep a pile of dried leaves or wood chips by the composter. Add in
equal amounts by weight when you add the waste.

any Ideas

Many thanks to all that reply

Graham

Lots of valid ideas above.
What I do is to add a layer of soil after I add the vegetables...the
vegetables I add are getting very ripe...stinky even, (I add liquid-old cold
coffee for example or water from boiled potatoes (unless I am making soup)
and let the veggies break down. (In a bucket under the sink, transferring to
another bucket outside when full). When the one outside is full I then add
to the compost pile. I don't like the smell but to worms it is a "gourmet
lunch".
Now, on top of the soil I have a plate that I top up with water. As the
water evaporates it keeps the compost cool. (If it gets too hot from the sun
it will kill the worms, actually I try to keep the sun off the compost bin).
You see I want to encourage worm growth and worms have a gizzard and
need soil to digest their food. Worms need to come to the surface to mate
and multiply...under the plate!
It is a well known fact that worms can turn rotting vegetation into the
most excellent plant food.
Thatıs what I do and it works for me. Good luck.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...

[IMG] code is On

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM