Old 21-05-2004, 07:05 AM
misato

Default About the fertilizer.

It's my first time to send the message!

I'm looking for the reason why fruits got chemical injury .
I used nitrogen and calcium for soil to help raising the tangerine .
When nitrogen and calcium are used in same time or in a short periods,
is there any chemical injury?

Does anybody have any experience like this?
I'd really like to know how it was happend and what I can do for it.

Thank you .
Old 21-05-2004, 12:03 PM
dps

Being in New England, I'm not familiar with the nutritional requirements
of tangerine vines.

Calcium availability is dependent on soil pH, with low pH decreasing the
availability, although organic soils are better at providing calcium
than mineral soils.

There should not be any real problem using calcium and nitrogen at the
same time. Calcium nitrate is used as a fertilizer. On the other hand,
an application of too much fertilizer could cause root injury which
would be reflected in the general plant health, not just in the fruit.

Are you sure that your fruit has a chemical injury or could it be some
other problem?

Old 21-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Sandy

On Fri, 21 May 2004 06:54:54 -0400, dps
posted:

Calcium availability is dependent on soil pH, with low pH decreasing the
availability,

Other way around, surely?

although organic soils are better at providing calcium
than mineral soils.

Nope. Although again, it depends...

Old 21-05-2004, 04:05 PM
dps

My information was taken from "Knott's Handbook for Vegetable Growers",
by Lorenz and Maynard, second edition, 1980. Their tables showing
nutrient availability as a function of pH are on pp 86-87 in that
edition and reference "Changing Patterns in Fertilizer Use", Soil
Science Society of America, Madison WI, (1968), L.B. Nelson, ed. and
also "Relationships between pH values of organic soils and availability
of 12 plant nutrients", R.E. Lucas and J.F. Davis, Soil Science
92:177-182 (1961).

I should have said that organic soils are *slightly* better at providing
calcium than mineral soils.

The statement was actually peripheral to the question about tangerines.

Old 21-05-2004, 04:06 PM
nswong

Hi Sandy,

Calcium availability is dependent on soil pH, with low pH

decreasing the
availability,

Other way around, surely?

dps are right about this, calcium do started reduce the availability
when PH are below 6.0.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 25-05-2004, 05:02 AM
misato

Thank you for your web reply!

I'm beginner of raising tangerine trees and
studing little by little about it.
I hadn't got any other idea of the tree ploblem .
Yes, there would be couse of the ploblem or I just don't know
how to distingush a chemical injury from the other ploblems....
your comments are really instructive for me.

Thanks.

misato
Old 26-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Henry Etta

Konnichi-wa Misato-san:

Where in Japan are you growing your tangerine (mikan) trees?

Henry

om...