Old 23-05-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Hosta's in planters?

Can Hosta's be planted in planters and if so, what types and sizes
work well?

Mike Pratt
mpratt at yahoo dot com
Old 23-05-2004, 07:08 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
Can Hosta's be planted in planters and if so, what types and sizes
work well?

There is no reason why you can't grow hostas in a planter. They are very
sturdy plants that will grow in full sun to full shade depending on the
variety.

The selection would depend largely on the size and location of the planter.
I have a krosa regal hosta that is five feet across and over 3 feet high. I
have a couple of sum and substance nearly as large. I have some very tiny
hostas like feather boa, lemon lime, and Allen P. McConnell that stay quite
small.

As a rule, blue hostas are less sun tolerant than other colors. Also, in
full sun, even the sturdiest hostas will look tired and bleached by the end
of summer.

You have to consider size, sun exposure, growth rate, mature size, leaf
shape, color, texture, and flower color and size.

If you give us more specifics, you will get more specific answers.

Old 23-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Romy Beeck

I planted them in pots last year so i could plant them later when my
landscaping was done. There coming back this year again. I have some in pots
right now waiting for another project to get done. Just make sure there
watered every other day and you should have no problem. Good luck

[IMG] code is On

What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
Hosta's in planters Judas Gardening 1 24-05-2004 01:04 AM
Mixing soil for planters [email protected] Gardening 5 17-04-2003 03:44 AM
garden planters scarey_b Gardening 2 23-02-2003 04:27 PM