Old 15-04-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Mixing soil for planters

I am wondering if I mixed my usual soiless mix with some well rotted
cattle manure in my outdoor planters. Would that work? The manure is
like compost - 2 years old and very dry and black.

Lori
Old 16-04-2003, 02:20 AM

Lucky you! Lots of people don't realize the manure does have to be
"aged".

Yes, I am lucky. My husband brings me a fresh pile every year so the
previous years doesn't always get used up.

As to your question: what is in the soilless mix?

Pro Mix is a general growing medium. I don't know what is in it. I
use it to start my seeds but I have found that when I transplant into
my outside planters that they do not do so well even though I
fertilize with Miracle Grow. This year I thought perhaps if I mixed
with manure I would have better looking plants.

Lori

Old 17-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Melinda Tennielle

I filled a very large planter with a mix of Whitney Farms potting soil
and Home Depot steer manure (about 4:1 or so ratio, maybe less). I've
been using it for years on garden beds, and I added it to a large
planter for the same reason Lori did - hoping it would enrich the
potting soil. Most of the "container gardening" searches I did mentioned
soilless potting mix, though, so Lori's reasoning seems sound to me.

M.
--

Melinda Tennielle

M10TVC15 (at) yahoo.com

[IMG] code is On

mixing weed and feed mick Australia 2 16-11-2004 02:56 PM
Mixing Chemicals...... Diana Kulaga Orchids 7 22-07-2004 07:19 PM
Mixing Chemicals...... Diana Kulaga Orchids 2 14-07-2004 12:05 PM
Trimec mixing ratio... help Heidi the Horrible Lawns 3 23-06-2004 01:18 PM
[IBC] Mixing Fertilizer and Super Thrive John NJ Bonsai 11 25-04-2003 10:56 AM