Old 24-05-2004, 09:08 PM
jeffrey

Default grass from seed?

beginning gardener is wondering how often to water freshly planted grass
seed-- and how much/often to water once seeds have germinated?

....many thanks..
Old 24-05-2004, 11:02 PM

keep seed damp until grass is growing(very important)and water to a 1" depth
thereafter once per week.

"jeffrey" wrote in message
beginning gardener is wondering how often to water freshly planted grass
seed-- and how much/often to water once seeds have germinated?

...many thanks..

---

Old 24-05-2004, 11:03 PM
John Bachman

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:19:17 -0700, jeffrey wrote:

beginning gardener is wondering how often to water freshly planted grass
seed-- and how much/often to water once seeds have germinated?

The most important thing is to make sure that the seed never dries
until you can see significant growth. I water twice a day in normal
years - this year is abnormal as nature is providing rain twice a day.

We have had so much rain I am worried that my goldfish are going to
drown. But the grass looks great.

John

Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:19:17 -0700, jeffrey wrote:

beginning gardener is wondering how often to water freshly planted grass
seed-- and how much/often to water once seeds have germinated?

...many thanks..

Every other day is a good plan, unless it rains. Straw will greatly
help retain moisture and protect the seed from hungry birds. You can
reduce watering to 1" per week after the first mowing. The straw will
eventually decompose.