Old 24-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Lee

Default huge menora type plant??????

earlier in the year when i finally was able to get out to the garden,
there were several huge flat rosettes of plants about 15 or 16 inches
across, the leaves being flat on the ground and long lancelot with
soft sort of crinkles. looked interesting and since we had planted all
kinds of seed in the area hoping to get the new ground covered,
decided to wait and see what they are. my daughter also has some in
her garden.

as time went on, they developed many stalks, like a huge many candled
Menora, coming out from the center rosette and the leaves were long
and swirled around the stalks with shorter leaves as they near to end
of the stalk and a rosette on the tips of the stalks. eventually..
just yesterday, i noticed that the tops of the stalks
(candelabras!)elongated and put out what i suppose are buds which look
like small upright okras and a couple of bright yellow blooms which
resemble many of the mallow family. just two blooms so far, but look
like they will bloom up the stalk somewhat like a hollyhock. they are
large plants, large leaves, tall,now as tall as 6 feetand spread about
5 feet. funny...i wanted something to fill in a new garden, but never
expected anything thing this large. i really think it is probably
something the birds brought in. i frequently pray for a surprise! be
careful what you pray for! LOL .. the birds have brought me some
interesting things, but this is almost too much!

any ideas anyone? if anyone would like a pic i can send it personally.
i still have a web sight, but since i moved, i can't remember how to
get into it to makecchanges.. i also, some how, lost my ftp software.
think i am becoming senile. Seriously. Maybe some day it will come
back to me and i will update the site.. g
Lee H
Old 26-05-2004, 03:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

as time went on, they developed many stalks, like a huge many candled
Menora, coming out from the center rosette and the leaves were long
and swirled around the stalks with shorter leaves as they near to end
of the stalk and a rosette on the tips of the stalks. eventually..
just yesterday, i noticed that the tops of the stalks
(candelabras!)elongated and put out what i suppose are buds which look
like small upright okras and a couple of bright yellow blooms which
resemble many of the mallow family. just two blooms so far, but look
like they will bloom up the stalk somewhat like a hollyhock. they are
large plants, large leaves, tall,now as tall as 6 feetand spread about
5 feet. funny.

Hi Lee
Your plant sounds like a Verbascum, probably V. thapsus, technically a weed.
aka Wooly Mullein.
I have a couple in my dry garden. They
are quite spectacular, aren't they?
They are biennial and will soon begin to set seed. That's when you will want
to cut off the flower stalk that is seedy, or you will have a billion tiny
seeds to start new wooly mulleins!!
Could also be a moth mullein, V.blattaria, but they are not quite so large.
(people are always stopping and asking what that "exotic" plant is! I don't
always tell them it's a Weed!)
Emilie
NorCal

[IMG] code is On

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
Plant ID-- huge whiteish cold tolerant "aloe vera-looking" succulent Darren Garrison Gardening 7 11-07-2007 09:28 PM
Huge new plant J.D. Stone Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:20 AM
Huge new plant Cin1754 Ponds 0 13-08-2004 12:07 AM
Full Plant Pics--was (What type of Plant is this can anyone tell Tracey Gardening 0 04-03-2003 05:51 AM