Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID-- huge whiteish cold tolerant "aloe vera-looking" succulent

Hoping for an id even though I don't have a picture. I saw one once on a garden
show shown from North Carolina, so I thought it MIGHT be hardy here in the upper
part of South Carolina. But this week I happened to drive by a huge one in
somebody's yard, so obviously it is hardy for here.

It is a succulent, looks more or less like an Aloe vera, but it is several feet
tall and around. It looks like it has a coating of powdered sugar. And it is a
species that can tolerate zone 7 winters. Any ideas? I want one of those
suckers.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Should have stopped and asked the owners of the plant? Maybe they'd have
even given you a cutting.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

Old 07-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

It is a succulent, looks more or less like an Aloe vera, but it is
several feet tall and around. It looks like it has a coating of
powdered sugar. And it is a species that can tolerate zone 7 winters.

Something like this?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60610/
or one of these?
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page3.html

Here in the Washington, DC area (zone 7), some kind of agaves or
yuccas are moderately common, including in the house we bought. We
have a nice big clump of three or so plants. They send up a nice
flower spike with white flowers (especially striking at night). Ours
does not die after flowering (some do, although they might send out
additional plants first). But I don't know what species are most
popular or work best (or even which one is in my yard, for that
matter).

They are, of course, native to drier climates. But ours has required
no maintenance and seems to be doing fine.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07 Jul 2007 12:26:28 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Something like this?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60610/
or one of these?
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page3.html

Thanks for the links, judging from the size (huge) and the need to be cold
hardy, it is probably one of these:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/05008.html

Pretty cheap, too.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:25:55 -0400, "betsyb" wrote:

Should have stopped and asked the owners of the plant? Maybe they'd have
even given you a cutting.

Might work if I was a woman. But since I'm a large hairy guy, they'd probably
lock the door and call the police. :-)

Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Should have stopped and asked the owners of the plant? Maybe they'd have
even given you a cutting.

Might work if I was a woman. But since I'm a large hairy guy, they'd
probably
lock the door and call the police. :-)

A smile on your face might have broken the ice had you tried? Costs nothing
to ask.

Betsy

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07 Jul 2007 12:26:28 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Here in the Washington, DC area (zone 7), some kind of agaves or
yuccas are moderately common, including in the house we bought. We
have a nice big clump of three or so plants. They send up a nice
flower spike with white flowers (especially striking at night). Ours
does not die after flowering (some do, although they might send out
additional plants first). But I don't know what species are most

Followup question-- I ordered a couple of Agave_americana, a kind that is
supposed to die after flowering. If mine do settle in and grow, can pruning
flower stalks when they start to grow keep the plant alive, or would it die
anyway?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 11:42 am, Darren Garrison wrote:
Hoping for an id even though I don't have a picture. I saw one once on a garden
show shown from North Carolina, so I thought it MIGHT be hardy here in the upper
part of South Carolina. But this week I happened to drive by a huge one in
somebody's yard, so obviously it is hardy for here.

It is a succulent, looks more or less like an Aloe vera, but it is several feet
tall and around. It looks like it has a coating of powdered sugar. And it is a
species that can tolerate zone 7 winters. Any ideas? I want one of those
suckers.

sounds like agave, needs impeccable drainage for cold hardyness.

[IMG] code is On

Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 09:07 PM
Aloe Vera plant Mythos Plant Biology 5 04-09-2005 05:41 PM
aloe vera plant Tonya Heath North Carolina 0 31-03-2005 07:11 PM
Aloe Vera Plant and Freezing weather junkyardcat Gardening 20 02-03-2005 07:30 PM
Aloe vera - too soon to put outside? kate Gardening 17 25-03-2003 02:32 PM