Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Ben Tuinman

Default Plant ID please

We have a plant in our garden, a perennial, which we don't know. We would
like someone to identify it for us. Its petals are tiny white, and they
close at the end of the day...... Thank you !

http://www3.sympatico.ca/btuinman/Plants.htm

Old 25-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Sed5555

We have a plant in our garden, a perennial, which we don't know. We would
like someone to identify it for us. Its petals are tiny white, and they
close at the end of the day......

It looks like star of bethlehem (or just star flower), Ornithogalum umbellatum.
sed5555

Old 25-05-2004, 03:06 PM
escapee

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:44:28 -0400, "Ben Tuinman"
opined:

We have a plant in our garden, a perennial, which we don't know. We would
like someone to identify it for us. Its petals are tiny white, and they
close at the end of the day...... Thank you !

http://www3.sympatico.ca/btuinman/Plants.htm

Maybe this:

http://www.yuccado.com/articles/rain_lily_diary.htm

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?
Old 25-05-2004, 04:02 PM
paghat

In article , "Ben Tuinman"
wrote:

We have a plant in our garden, a perennial, which we don't know. We would
like someone to identify it for us. Its petals are tiny white, and they
close at the end of the day...... Thank you !

http://www3.sympatico.ca/btuinman/Plants.htm

Rainlily aka Zephyr Lily or Fairy Lily. See:
http://www.paghat.com/rainlily.html

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 25-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Ben Tuinman

Thanks everyone for the reply to my request. I think we have come to the
conclusion that the plant in our garden is the "Rain Lily". Ben.

. ..

Old 26-05-2004, 01:02 PM
David J Bockman

Actually it's Iphion uniflorum, aka Spring Starflower.

I have masses of them in my own garden.

Dave

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 26-05-2004, 02:02 PM
griffon

"David J Bockman" wrote:

Actually it's Iphion uniflorum, aka Spring Starflower.

I have masses of them in my own garden.

Dave

From the pictures I think it is more likely Ornithogalum umbellatum
(Star of Bethlehem) which I have in several places in my yard. Hard
to know without a closer view, but the way the flowers close and the
way the flowers come off the stem in the second picture really makes
me think that is what it is.
Old 26-05-2004, 05:09 PM
paghat

In article , "David J Bockman"
wrote:

Actually it's Iphion uniflorum, aka Spring Starflower.

I have masses of them in my own garden.

Dave

So do I, but I stick by it being a Rainlily. Here's Ipheon for comparison:
http://www.paghat.com/ipheion.html
The flowers are more cupped, with three petals inside three petals, vs the
evenly displayed petals (& smaller grass) of the rainlily.

-paggers

"paghat" wrote in message
news

Old 27-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Janice

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:55:39 -0400, "Ben Tuinman"
wrote:

Thanks everyone for the reply to my request. I think we have come to the
conclusion that the plant in our garden is the "Rain Lily". Ben.

Star of bethlehem is what it looks like to me. I have one like it in
my yard. It's pretty commonly found in older yards, along with grape
hyacinth plants and bishops' weed, which *might* be what I see in the
background in the side view of the nearly closed flowers. But I can't
see enough of it to tell for sure, could be any number of variegated
plants.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/495/ Ornithogalum umbellatum

It's also listed as a poisonous plant pest. I know they spread
easily, didn't know they were poisonous, so keep them away from kids
and out of pastures and pets that like to eat everything.

Janice

Old 27-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Ben Tuinman

This has been very confusing to us ! Both species : "Star of Bethlehem", and
"Rain-lily" look much the same. First we thought that ours might be a
Rain-lily, but.... after closer examination of the many photos on diff.
websites........we are now leaning towards the Star of Bethlehem after all.
Thanks to all of you who have responded ! Ben.