Old 26-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Dan Charette

Default Micro Tom Tomatos saving seeds

Hi all...

I have a micro tom tomato plant that someone gave me that has produced
a load of fruit once and almost died because of some white flys. I
got ride of them and now, it's got a second wind and is producing a
second batch even more bountiful than the first. My question is
simply this... am I able to save the seeds from one of the tomatos on
this variety, replant and expect to see some fruit?
I'm not real familar with the concepts of how hybrids work and the
sterility and such.

Thanks for any help!

Dan
Old 26-05-2004, 04:06 PM
zxcvbob

Dan Charette wrote:

Hi all...

I have a micro tom tomato plant that someone gave me that has produced
a load of fruit once and almost died because of some white flys. I
got ride of them and now, it's got a second wind and is producing a
second batch even more bountiful than the first. My question is
simply this... am I able to save the seeds from one of the tomatos on
this variety, replant and expect to see some fruit?
I'm not real familar with the concepts of how hybrids work and the
sterility and such.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Let's assume they are hybrids. If the fruits have seeds, you can save
them and you might get something that closely resembles the parent even
if they are hybrids. Plant a bunch and ruthlessly select the best
plants. After a few [tomato] generations you'll have a reasonably pure
strain of open pollinated tomatoes.

Bob

Old 27-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Dan Charette

Bob...

Thanks for the information. I took two different tomatos that I just
picked off the plant and planted seeds from each. With any luck,
these won't be too far from the original parent as you said. It is a
pretty neat type of tomato as the fruits are about the size of a large
gumball. And they do have a rather concentrated tomato flavor.

Thanks!
Old 27-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 27 May 2004 07:40:22 -0500, Dan Charette
wrote:

Thanks for the information. I took two different tomatos that I just
picked off the plant and planted seeds from each. With any luck,
these won't be too far from the original parent as you said. It is a
pretty neat type of tomato as the fruits are about the size of a large
gumball. And they do have a rather concentrated tomato flavor.

It's pretty easy to see by Googling that Micro Tom is a 'heritage' or
non-hybrid tomato. You're in luck.