Old 31-05-2004, 11:03 AM
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Planting Trees

If a newly planted tree is declining because it has been planted too deep,
it is best to start over again with a new healthy tree that is planted
correctly.

---------------------------------------LINKS---------------------
TECHNO TREE BIOLOGY DICTIONARY online at
http://www.treedictionary.com

Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/SHIGO
Announcing the release of a 2-CD set by DR. SHIGO
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/CDS1.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

About me - Some of my educational activities I have enjoyed are here
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/educat.html

Old 31-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Mike LaMana

True sometimes John. I have dug up and reset trees up to 5 years after
initial installation with good results.This is especially effective on large
transplants because they have so much reserve they can keep going for a few
years even if improperly planted.

IMO most landscapers have no idea about how to plant a tree, how to water,
what species behave in what way, etc. Landscape Architects are slightly
better, but are not around enough to make a real difference on most
projects.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 31-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message

IMO most landscapers have no idea about how to plant a tree, how to water,
what species behave in what way, etc. Landscape Architects are slightly
better, but are not around enough to make a real difference on most
projects.

Why would you think Landscape Architects better able to assess needs of
plants installed in the landscape than those who work with them every day?
IME, LA's (in general - no flames, please) have remarkably little
horticultural knowledge, as plant husbandry or even basic ID is lacking from
most LA curriculums. Nor are they very hands-on in the field. Of course
there are both skilled and non-skilled landscapers, but as a professional in
horticulture myself, if I were drawing up sides, I'd go with a working
landscaper everytime before I'd ask an LA any question about plant care or
culture. Spatial analysis or layout and basic design, yes, but plant
selection or care - never.

pam - gardengal

Old 31-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Pam - I agree with you to a degree, as the best horticulturists I know are
landscapers. However, to become an LA one has to undergo a rigorous training
that virtually assures they know a little about a lot of stuff, and lot
about some stuff. I agree that in general these folks are horticulturally,
botanically, and ecologically challenged -but they have had the benefit of
some training in soils, plant science, plant ID, IPM, etc.

However, to be a landscaper (in most places and at most times) one has to
have a pick up truck, a shovel, a mower, and some gumption - formal training
of any sort be damned. No flames here please - I have billed myself as a
landscaper for a portion of my career.

I know there are tons of exceptions, but after nearly 20 years at this these
are my opinions today.