Old 01-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Andy H

Default Plant pots upside down on sticks??

Hi

At Chatsworth House, we noticed there were small plant pots upside
down on sticks in some of the gardens. Is this a methos of scaring
birds or other animals away? In some gardens there were hanging CDs
which I know helps keep birds away.

Many thanks

Andy
Old 01-06-2004, 05:03 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Andy H) wrote:

Hi

At Chatsworth House, we noticed there were small plant pots upside
down on sticks in some of the gardens. Is this a methos of scaring
birds or other animals away? In some gardens there were hanging CDs
which I know helps keep birds away.

Many thanks

Andy

Never saw such a thing myself. But I caught a Gardening with Cisco spot
about planting tomatoes upside down. There didn't seem to be any reason
for it, only that it could be done, so wow let's do it, though the vines
don't need to be braced in any way. I thought it looked stupid, but then,
Cisco was using a commercially made upside-down-tomato-basket which was a
plastic piece of shyt. It might could be done in a less ugly way.

Here's are some random pages about the method; it seems to be a fad:
http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/gardening/tomato.htm
http://thehappyhorticulturist.homest...nTomatoes.html
http://wwwsuite101.com/article.cfm/c...ardening/70102

And here's the exact same ugly-ass product Cisco was using (I wonder if he
gets paid to promote ugly-ass products, or really has that bad a taste):
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/totuupdotofl.html

This even pricier product is not as ugly:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/674...&AFID=BEFREE01
But the first link above shows how to make your own cheap.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 01-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Neil Jones

"Andy H" wrote in message
om...
Hi

At Chatsworth House, we noticed there were small plant pots upside
down on sticks in some of the gardens. Is this a methos of scaring
birds or other animals away? In some gardens there were hanging CDs
which I know helps keep birds away.

Many thanks

Andy

Were they stuffed with straw? The theory is that earwigs are attracted
to them (warm shelter or something) and you can easily dispose of the
straw in the morning.

Neil

Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Sure, why not?

You can put CDs in that retractable cup holder on you computer too!!! ;-)

Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 PM
David Hill

"............ Where gardeners are working, it stops them poking an eye on
the canes.
Or, the pots might have straw inside as an earwig trap............."

OR

It could be that they covered that area with netting or fleece and the pot
would stop the canes poking through.
You can also use cut off plastic bottles.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-06-2004, 12:07 AM
someone

David Hill wrote in message
"............ Where gardeners are working, it stops them poking an eye on
the canes.
Or, the pots might have straw inside as an earwig trap............."

OR

It could be that they covered that area with netting or fleece and the pot
would stop the canes poking through.
You can also use cut off plastic bottles.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Have you noticed there aren't nearly as many earwigs around as there used to
be?